"Bangkok" Top 5 Page for this destination Bangkok by blueskyjohn

Bangkok Travel Guide: 10,737 reviews and 24,333 photos

May 2015 trip - Bangkok
May 2015 trip

Update: My most recent trip to Bangkok was May 2015. During this trip, I continued to explore the city using the BTS Skytrain and the Chao Phraya river boats. I can't say enough good things about these two modes of transportation. And when it comes right down to it, becoming familiar with these two will make a world of difference if you visit Bangkok.

As for new sights to see on this trip, I explored the Chinatown district and spent several nights enjoying Khao San Road. Khao San Road should not be missed. I also through in a day trip to Ayutthaya. If your time allows, this is a great trip!

A favorite activity of mine is eating. My favorite on the trip was my last meal in Bangkok at a place called Smooth Curry. Of course, I finished most days off with a relaxing foot massage. Not all were relaxing but the best on this trip was at Raintree Spa. There are a few locations but the one on Sukhumvit Soi 11 was great!

Easy to get around

What I liked about Bangkok was how easy it was to get to most, if not all the interesting sights in the city. Learning how to use public transportation really came out of necessity. The taxi drivers are not very reliable and prefer not to use the meter which is required. Instead of dealing with their varying rates, I took the time to learn the Sky Train system and the Chao Phraya river boat schedule. I t made traveling around a joy.

Wonderful sights around the city

One of my favorite things to do was to visit the many temples in Bangkok. From the very large to the seldom traveled, each had a special quality. Some of the temples that should not be missed is Wat Pho, Wat Arun and Wat Phra Kaew where the emerald Buddha is kept.

• Last visit to Bangkok: May 2015

• Written Jan 20, 2016

Wat Pho and Chinatown in a day

• Written Jan 16, 2016

1 day

Bangkok to Ayutthaya for the day

• globetrott's Profile Photo
    May 8, 2016 at 10:50 PM

lots of great tips for my next time in Bangkok, thanks a lot John ! I would also hope to see such a waran / giant lizard in the city !

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Oct 12, 2015 at 4:22 AM

John, reading your page, I feel I have been to Bangkok and want to see more with my own eyes...Thanks a lot!

• cal6060's Profile Photo
    Sep 19, 2015 at 3:35 AM

Great information and tips of Bangkok! Very helpful, thanks John!

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Aug 29, 2015 at 1:16 PM

John, you've added lots of great new tips and updates from your most recent visit to Bangkok. I'm very impressed with the transportation system and of course that solid gold Buddha.

• Chinggis_n_Borte's Profile Photo
    Aug 15, 2015 at 9:03 PM

Looks like you had a great trip.

• happypasttime's Profile Photo
    Aug 2, 2015 at 1:55 PM

Great additional tips John!

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Jun 3, 2015 at 1:41 PM

Excellent additions! You saw heaps more on this trip and may be more to add?

• blueskyjohn's Profile Photo
      Jun 11, 2015 at 12:42 PM

Thanks Dee! I have some finishing tips about transportation and what to see at different BTS stops and River piers. Will get to it eventually :-)

• balhannah's Profile Photo
      Jun 11, 2015 at 4:13 PM

I will keep a look out and try to read them as you write them, otherwise I will be lost on your big page :)

• starship's Profile Photo
    May 30, 2015 at 5:38 PM

Nice updates! Thailand used to be high on my wish list, but not sure that I am up to traveling that far at this point. So it's nice to see it through your eyes!

• blueskyjohn's Profile Photo
      May 30, 2015 at 5:59 PM

Thanks Sylvia! I'm in Bangkok right now and thought I'd write a little bit before heading out. One more day before I start the long flights back.

• starship's Profile Photo
      May 31, 2015 at 4:13 AM

Hope you're having a marvelous time and have a safe flight back home!

• happypasttime's Profile Photo
    Mar 27, 2015 at 9:51 AM

Good information about some restaurants and hotels. I liked the temple photos too.

• wabat's Profile Photo
    Dec 6, 2014 at 5:54 AM

Ive enjoyed your great things to do tips , will be back for the others soon.

blueskyjohn's Profile Photo

blueskyjohn

“"The mountains are calling and I must go."”

Badges & Stats in Bangkok

Have you been to Bangkok?

Latest Activity in Bangkok