"Rome!" Rome by Cruiseone2003

Rome Travel Guide: 12,321 reviews and 27,551 photos

CIAO! Coliseum, Rome - Rome
CIAO! Coliseum, Rome
Roma

My Transatlantic cruise ended in Civitavecchia which is the port for Rome. I couldn't just fly home without spending some time exploring the history and sights of this fine city.
First, let me just say hotels are very expensive, even budget hotels are $150-200 a night so since we were 5 people that needed 3 rooms I opted to rent an apartment on Via Del Corso located between the Piazza Di Popolo and Spanish Steps. The area was safe, plenty of places to eat and shop and near the sights. Best of all, I paid EUR190 a night which we divided 5 ways!, this was a three bedroom apartment, full kitchen, dining room, patio, 1 bath, and free internet with computer. Here's the website I used: http://www.rentalinrome.com/index.htm
I worked exclusively with Roberto Giammaria. If you need a limo booked from the port to Rome or vice versa, this company can do this for you as well.

Roma, part II
Statue at Sunset near Coliseum. - Rome

Statue at Sunset near Coliseum.

What I loved about Rome were the people, they are all beautiful (even the ugly one's! ha) No really, I have never seen people who wear clothes so well, and I'm not a fashionista! The food! for the most part the food just about anywhere was amazingly good however, I learned if you went too budget in you choices you were getting premade food;should be against the law in Roma!
You don't need a car in Rome, it's the perfect walking city. My only complaint really is there were just too many people and this was in May, not even the height of the tourist season. The Spanish steps were mobbed with people always and in the evening drunken teens;lovely. The Trevi fountain was beautiful, especially at night, but it was comical taking pictures because people would walk in front of you just as you clicked on the shutter button.

Do all roads end in Rome?

Seeing the sights like the Coliseum was amazing, Rome is one big history book. It's also a very pretty city and romantic! The perfect city to propose I think!!!
I have never seen so many Smart Cars than in Rome but it makes perfect sense because traffic is constant. I couldn't imagine driving in Rome.

When we were leaving the apartment for the airport (Fiumcino) we hired a taxi to take us to the train station (Termini) to take the express train to the airport(EUR11pp). Fortunately, the driver asked us why we were doing this because there is a flat fee from Rome to the airport, I want to say EUR40 and a small tip, keep this in mind especially if you are 3 or more people. Read the following story for interesting reading about Rome Taxis to the airports: http://www.theamericanmag.com/print_article.php?show_article_id=670
One more website with some great information for every visitor to Rome:

• Pros:The People, the Food, beautiful walking city
  • Cons:Too many people (tourists)
  • In a nutshell:Roma, Tutto bene!!!
  • Last visit to Rome: May 2007
  • Intro Updated Dec 16, 2007

Comments

Cruiseone2003's Profile Photo

Cruiseone2003

“A journey is best measured in friends rather than miles (Tim Cahill)”

Badges & Stats in Rome