"My Paris: not only operas and bicycles . . ." Top 5 Page for this destination Paris by Nemorino

Paris Travel Guide: 23,105 reviews and 57,400 photos

View from Mirabeau Bridge - Paris
View from Mirabeau Bridge

Although VirtualTourist currently has 23,103 reviews about Paris, hardly any of these up to now have made any mention of the quarter called Auteuil in the far southwest corner of the city. To remedy this, at least slightly, I have posted a loop of thirteen Auteuil reviews, using photos from my visit there in August 2015.

Other recent additions to my Paris page:

Twelve Paris reviews from my visit in July 2015, about the Faubourg Saint-Antoine and the green corridor Coulée Verte René-Dumont.

Eleven Paris reviews from my visit in June 2015, for instance about a concert at the new Philharmonie, a play at the Odéon and an operetta at the Châtelet.

If you would like to have a look at one or more of these loops in my order, you can easily do so simply by clicking on the link at the bottom of each review.

In a travelogue I have also preserved the links to several earlier loops of Paris tips/reviews, which you are cordially invited to have a look at.

Perhaps you are wondering how I have managed to limit my Paris page to 433 reviews, when there is obviously so much more to be said about this great city.

Well, even if you aren’t wondering, here are my secrets:

First, I have put my day trips from Paris onto separate pages:
• My Versailles reviews are all on my Versailles page, not here on my Paris page.
• Also my reviews on Boulogne-Billancourt, Fontainebleau, Maintenon, Montmorency, Saint-Cyr-l’École, Saint-Germain-en-Laye and Vincennes all have their own pages.
• Even my four Le Bourget reviews now have a page all to themselves, along with an introduction about my father’s visit there in 1927 and mine in 2006.
So all my Paris reviews are now strictly about Paris, within the city limits.

Second, I have tried to combine reviews whenever possible. On my Paris page I have an average of 4.2 photos per review, often with separate comments for each of the photos.

Third and most important, I have no restaurant reviews on my Paris page. This is not only to reduce the size of the page, but also because I am not desperately interested in restaurants and have no overwhelming desire to write about them. Fortunately VirtualTourist has numerous members who write excellent restaurant reviews. Have a look at the Paris restaurant reviews by Beausoleil, BeatChick, Guyon, pfsmalo, Shrimp56, daveq, and Dabs, to name just the first seven who come to mind.

Bows at the Opéra Garnier - Paris

Bows at the Opéra Garnier

The amazing thing about my visit to Paris in June 2006 was that in only ten days I saw eight operas at seven different venues. I don't know of any other city in the world where this would be possible.

Table of Contents

Here is an overview of the larger tip categories on my Paris page, with clickable links:

Things to Do 1-10: Champs-Elysées, Arc de Triomphe, Théâtre de la Huchette, Victor Hugo, Balzac; nights at the Opéra Garnier.

Things to Do 11-20: Opera venues: Garnier, Bastille, Châtelet, Opéra Comique, Athenée.

Things to Do 21-30: Théâtre des Champs-Élysées; open-air opera; Music at Salle Pleyel, Radio France, La Villette.

Things to Do 31-40: Music in the Sainte Chapelle & Madeleine; François-Mitterrand Library, Simone de Beauvoir footbridge, Pont des Arts, Queuing at the Eiffel Tower, . . .

Things to Do 41-50: Museums: Louvre, Orsay, Beaubourg, Picasso, Carnavalet.

Things to Do 51-60: Immigration: Porte Dorée, Cité de l'immigration; Branly Museum, Arab World, Mosque, . . .

Things to Do 61-70: Paris Beaches, Paris in the cinema, Making films in Paris, Palais Royal, Comédie Française, Musée des Arts et Métiers, Memorial of the Deportation.

Things to Do 71-80: Paris from a tethered balloon, Parc André Citroën, Montparnasse Tower, Saint-Roch, Place des Vosges, Panthéon, Eiffel Tower.

Things to Do 81-90: Montmartre, Sacré-Coeur, Standing room at the Opéra Bastille.

Things to Do 91-100: Square du Vert-Galant, Notre-Dame 1482, Cluny Museum, Egypt in the Louvre.

Things to Do 101-110: Musée Charles X, Grand Palais, Petit Palais, Napoléon’s tomb, Army Museum, Rodin Museum.

Things to Do 111-120: Musée Guimet, Place d’Iéna, concert at Théâtre des Champs-Elysées, Arc de Triomphe, Orangerie, Samaritaine.

Things to Do 121-130: Boat trip on the Seine, Hôtel du Nord, Canal Saint-Martin, Arletty, Saint-Louis Hospital, Science & Industry Museum, Pont Neuf, Wallace Fountains, Conciergerie.

Things to Do 131-140: Archeological Crypt, Les Arènes de Lutèce, Jardin des Plantes, The Grand Gallery of Evolution, Beaumarchais, The square of Gavroche’s elephant, Théâtre des Nouveautés, Bourdelle Museum and the Hall Napoléon at the Louvre.

Things to Do 141-150: The Palais Royal district: Galerie Vivienne, Rue de la Banque, Place des Victoires. Gobelin tapestries, Les Berges.

Things to Do 151-160: Les Berges (the banks of the Seine), Rue de Bièvre.

Things to Do 161-170: Île Saint-Louis; Orsay and Louvre museums with VT member breughel.

Things to Do 171-180: People at the Louvre, Jacquemart-André Museum, Camille Claudel, Jewish Art and History, Spontini’s opera La Vestale, Vauban memorial, Saint-Germain-des-Près.

Things to Do 180-190: More places in Saint-Germain-des-Près, Delacroix Museum, Trocadéro, Richelieu-Louvois Library, Dionysian frenzy, Galerie Colbert, the Sorbonne, the new Philharmonie.

Things to Do 191-193: A concert at the Philharmonie, a play at the Odéon, an operetta at the Châtelet.

Off the Beaten Path 1-10: Ninon de Lenclos; Rue des Rosiers 1962/65; Paris Skyline Countdown # 30; Jardin du Moulin de la Pointe; Passy, light pollution, Trinité, colorful facades.

Off the Beaten Path 11-20: Small theaters: La Comedia, Espace Marais, Theatre de l'Ile Saint-Louis; music in small churches; gay bars; Phillippe Auguste's wall: Wallace Fountains; Cité Universitaire.

Off the Beaten Path 21-30: Hemingway's Place de la Contrescarpe; Belleville; Passy; Allee des Cygnes.

Off the Beaten Path 31-40: Promenade plantée; Père Lachaise cemetery; Colbert in the Saint-Eustache Church; town halls of several arrondissements, Bourse de Commerce, Tournelle Bridge, Hôtel de Sens.

Off the Beaten Path 41-50: Galerie Véro-Dodat, Le Recrutement, Parc des Buttes-Chaumont, La Rotonde de la Villette, Jussieu campus, Théâtre Montparnasse, Rue de la Gaîté, Zadkine Museum, guided walking tour of Montparnasse, Le Sélect.

Off the Beaten Path 51-60: La Coupole, ateliers in rue Huyghens, Foujita’s atelier, rue Delambre, Bains Odessa, Rue de Rennes, Couvent des Cordelières, Château de la Reine Blanche.

Off the Beaten Path 61-70: 13th arrondissement & Les Docks.

Off the Beaten Path 71-80: Diderot University, Butte-aux-Cailles, Place de Clichy, …

Off the Beaten Path 81-90: Museum of the Sewers, Arsenal Library and Pavillon, Quai des Célestins, rue Jacob, rue Monttessuy, street art by Jana & JS.

Off the Beaten Path 91-100: Palais de Chaillot, Le Lucernaire, Montparnasse Cemetery; the 2nd district (2e arrondissement).

Off the Beaten Path 101-108: More places in the 2nd district. Also Hôtel d'Ecquevilly & Hôtel de l'Impécuniosité in the Marais district.

Transportation 1-10: Six major railway stations; Train of Great Speed (TGV); InterCityExpress (ICE); EuroCity (EC).

Transportation 11-20: Five or six reasons not to take the Métro; Bus 38, Tramway T-3a and T-3b, Porte de Versailles, Porte de Vincennes, Porte de la Chapelle, Small Belt Line, Autolib’, Voiturier.

Transportation 21-22: Batobus, Métro line # 4.

Here on my Paris page (as on my Amsterdam and Verona pages) I have put all my cycling tips into the category of General Tips a.k.a. Favorites, so as to keep them all together.

• Last visit to Paris: Aug 2015

Earlier loops of Paris tips/reviews

• Paris in February 2011 - Paris

Written Jul 31, 2011

3 photos

Paris in the spring, almost

• Place des Vosges - Paris

4 photos

The 4 places in Paris with the most tips on VT

• Regina1965's Profile Photo
    Mar 9, 2016 at 6:07 AM

Excellent new reviews - what a wealth of information you have here on this page!

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Feb 27, 2016 at 12:24 PM

As always I've enjoyed exploring another off-path corner of this lovely city with you, this time Auteuil

• globetrott's Profile Photo
    Feb 21, 2016 at 1:54 AM

Great to read your Auteuil reviews of August 2015, Don !

• Chinggis_n_Borte's Profile Photo
    Feb 17, 2016 at 5:22 PM

Hope to watch another Opera play with you in Paris that one you arrange for us was fantastic " the Marriage of Figaro" by Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, we truly enjoyed it for 3 hours.

Chinggis K

• wabat's Profile Photo
    Jan 30, 2016 at 6:00 PM

Don, your Auteuil reviews are a great addition to your wonderful Paris page.

• ADAMYAMEY's Profile Photo
    Jan 22, 2016 at 2:48 PM

This ia a fantastic work. A tremendously practical series of articles.

• Odiseya's Profile Photo
    Jan 22, 2016 at 12:22 PM

I love your Paris so much but I will need lots of time to detailed read about it. Thank you for lovely virtual tour!

• xaver's Profile Photo
    Jan 19, 2016 at 4:35 AM

Your last updates are very interesting, I'd like to visit some of the new places you talk about.

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
      Jan 20, 2016 at 12:59 AM

Corra, thanks for your ratings and comments on my latest loop of Paris tips.

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Jan 9, 2016 at 11:52 AM

I've enjoyed reading your latest updates, and especially getting to know the Coulée Verte René-Dumont, which looks well worth seeking out on a future visit to Paris

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
      Jan 9, 2016 at 12:19 PM

Thanks, Sarah. I'm glad you liked the Coulée Verte.

• Odiseya's Profile Photo
    Jan 9, 2016 at 6:18 AM

Fascinate page! Paris was inspiration for you and I will come back to read more.

Nemorino's Profile Photo

Nemorino

“The world is full of wonderful places. Help keep them wonderful by not driving in them.”

Badges & Stats in Paris