"A Local's Perspective" Top 5 Page for this destination Vancouver by Carmanah

The Lion's Gate Bridge - Vancouver

The Lion's Gate Bridge

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Location: 49° 16' North, 123° 04' West
Population: 578,041 (2006 Census)
Incorporated: April 6, 1886

Thanks for checking out my Vancouver page - the most informative VT page I have ever built! I'd like to think I can offer a unique perspective on Vancouver - a life long local's perspective. Not only of the city itself, but the atmosphere and attitudes you'll encounter. Sick and tired of typical touristy brochure shpeels of Vancouver as the place where you can ski and sail in one day? Do you want to know the real secrets, both pros and cons? Welcome to my page!

Downtown Vancouver - Vancouver

Downtown Vancouver

I will be adapting my Vancouver page to reflect life in Vancouver, not necessarily from the tourist's point of view, but definitely for the benefit of any visitor, whether they plan to vacation, study or work here. Since many generations of my family have called Greater Vancouver home, I feel a very strong bond with the city and the surrounding region, and this passion for my home inspires my writing. You'll notice that a lot of my writing will revolve around family traditions, anecdotes and experiences while growing up and living here.

• Pros:The mountains at the foot of the city (skiing, hiking, etc). Beaches surrounding the city (swimming, boating, etc). Multicultural and liberal-minded. Diverse cuisine options. Warm, dry summers. Wet but mild (no snow!) winters. Very modern.
  • Cons:The visible social problems involving panhandling, drug use, and high property theft. Archaic liquor laws. Limited and often underwhelming nightlife. Gentrification is removing the character in many neighbourhoods. Costly housing. Parking hell.
  • In a nutshell:A cosmopolitan city located in a beautiful geographical setting, blending Asian and European influences, unique to both Canada and the world.
  • Intro Updated Dec 4, 2008

8 photos

Yaletown

• glabah's Profile Photo
    Sep 2, 2015 at 3:12 PM

Indeed you offer some great advice from a local perspective.

• CatherineReichardt's Profile Photo
    Aug 16, 2012 at 5:23 AM

Oh my, Robyn - what a labour of love this terrific page is!
    I note with regret that you haven't logged in for a few months, but hopefully when you finally do, you'll know how much help your wonderful tips have been. I'm off now to determine if - by any great good fortune - our trip coincides with the UBC Apple Festival!
    Regards
    Cathy
    P.S. Halleluia!!!!! It is!

• Jun 22, 2012 at 8:38 AM

Enjoying your website! Excellent insight and information.

• yvgr's Profile Photo
    Apr 4, 2012 at 2:13 AM

Hi, your Travelpages on Vancouver are very good and informative. I'm looking forward visiting Vancouver.

• shinyalammy's Profile Photo
    Jul 2, 2011 at 8:53 AM

hey this place was where I always had in my memory! I didn't know it was even a named landmark! Thank you for posting this. I used to walk here alone and still remember the tranquility of the beautioful shore..

• bharat_tanwar's Profile Photo
    Jun 1, 2011 at 3:37 AM

great page on Vancouver. very informative with good pics.......it approaches to visit Ur city.....thanks !

• May 30, 2010 at 5:01 AM

Unfortunately I read your comment too late.

• Dec 30, 2009 at 5:20 AM

You are the only one on this forum who knows what real life is about it seems. Other people write how scarry the homeless are...they should just stay home in their safe little houses

• Nov 30, 2009 at 12:43 PM

Grouse Mountain is a great evening trip. I have been on many SWISS cable cars and this one is a BIG Box. Enjoy Ice Skating, Sky Boarding and Skiing on top. The gift shop and lodge provide a great walk thru. Bring your camera and wallet!

• j-san's Profile Photo
    Sep 6, 2009 at 8:58 PM

Hi Robyn, I finally made it to Vancouver last week and loved it! We are going to come again this Thursday!! We are totally craazy about Granville Market since little Victoria doesn't have anything like that. Czeching out your page now...

Carmanah's Profile Photo

Carmanah Lives Here!

Carmanah

“You only live once!”

Badges & Stats in Vancouver

Have you been to Vancouver?

Latest Activity in Vancouver