"Rukmini Devi Temple" Dwarka Video by anilpradhanshillong
- Rukmini Devi Temple
- Date Added: Oct 24, 2011
From Beyt Dwarka you return to the mainland of Dwarka and proceed to the exquisite Rukmini Devi Temple located on the banks of the Bhagirathi River. This is barely 1.5 kms from the Dwarka temple. The temple is an architectural masterpiece with the walls decorated with paintings depicting Rukmini’s life with Lord Krishna. There is supposed to be an ancient idol of Rukmini, made of marble, in the cellar of the temple. Legend has it that Durvasa Muni, a sage easily angered, cursed Rukmini to live apart from Lord Krishna for 12 years for drinking water before he, the guest, had been fed. He also cursed that no vegetation would grow as the soil would be too unwholesome for agriculture and the water too salty for a radius of 12 kms . If you look around, you will notice that there is hardly any vegetation in the vicinity. If you taste the water in any of the hotels, you will agree it is rather salty. Also, you will notice that the Dwarka temple and the Rukmini Devi temple are quite far apart.
Dwarka Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Western edge of India"
- "Dwarka-Gateway to God"
- "Dwarka: The Kingdom of Lord Krishna!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Dwarka
- Hotels in Dwarka
- Restaurants in Dwarka
- Warnings and Dangers in Dwarka
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Dwarka
- 11 Reviews
- 16 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (38)
Have you been to Dwarka?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Dwarka
Photos in DwarkaSee All Photos (16)
Videos in DwarkaSee All Videos (5)
Top 10 Pages
- Rome Intro, 51 reviews, 217 photos
- Hampi Intro, 36 reviews, 191 photos, 5 travelogues
- Shillong Intro, 35 reviews, 105 photos, 1 travelogue
- Lucknow Intro, 16 reviews, 115 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Colombo Intro, 23 reviews, 90 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Leh Intro, 24 reviews, 79 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Darjeeling Intro, 17 reviews, 81 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination McLeod Ganj Intro, 19 reviews, 74 photos
- Ajanta Intro, 19 reviews, 73 photos
- Goa Intro, 14 reviews, 69 photos, 2 travelogues