Sri Lanka Videos

Sri Lanka Travel Guide: 83 reviews and 206 photos

• planxty's video

In Sri Lanka Independence Day is celebrated on 4th February and it is a really big event there. It commemorates the county's peaceful independence from Britain in 1948.

I was fortunate enough to be in the lovely town of Matara in Southern Province for the celebrations in 2014 and my friendly hotelier suggested I might want to go along to the local cricket stadium to watch the festivities and I am so glad I did. It was well organised, well policed, completely friendly (although that is normal in this beautiful country), peaceful and I thoroughly enjoyed myself.

This clip shows some of the youngsters flag party in front of the dias. I am not sure if the song being sung is perhhaps the Sri Lankan national anthem but everyone was standing fairly rigidly to attention so perhaps it was.

• planxty's video

This clip shows another portion of the marchpast.

• planxty's video

This clip shows more from the massed bands, this time featuring the drum corps.

• planxty's video

This clip shows part of the marchpast and I really have no idea what the drill sergeant is doing at the back!

• planxty's video

This clip shows the end of yet another dance by the very talented dancers.

• planxty's video

This clip shows a different dance and apparently represents cobra snakes.

• planxty's video

This clip shows the young masked female traditional dancers performing whils the parade stands at ease in the schorching sun. I'm glad it wasn't me.

• planxty's video

This clip shows the massed bands on parade and very impressive they were too as you can see.

Galle Trainbug Date Added: Feb 25, 2015

Galle Trainbug Date Added: Feb 25, 2015

Temple of Tooth Trainbug Date Added: Feb 25, 2015

Candles. Trainbug Date Added: Feb 25, 2015

Man in the field. Trainbug Date Added: Feb 25, 2015

Man in the field. Trainbug Date Added: Feb 25, 2015

Old letters. Trainbug Date Added: Feb 25, 2015

Have you been to Sri Lanka?