"Getty Museum" Los Angeles Travelogue by american_tourister
Los Angeles Travel Guide: 4,411 reviews and 8,884 photos
The museum was built by the Getty Foundation to warehouse their art collection that dates from the year 1000 AD. Everything else will be on display at the old museum in Malibu and will be called the "Museum of Antiquities".
The edifice is located on a 600 acre tract at I-405 and Sunset Boulevard and offers incredible views of Brentwood, Malibu, Westwood, and West LA. The Foundation bought the land and spent $1,000,000,000.00 to erect the facility. That is not a misprint. It is 1 BILLION Dollars!
The building is wrapped in Travertine marble from Italy. It has fossils in it! The Foudation bought the quarry that supplied the Travertine for the original Coliseum in Rome just to supply these buildings.
Spend a whole day here. There is a video about how they built it and there is a neat self guided tour, or you can go with Docents on tours. Admission and the tours are free of charge. There is a $5.00 fee to park in the garage and you must have reservations. The easiest thing to do is to park in the designated lot at the Veteran's Hospital on Wilshire and ride the bus to the tram. This is free.
The restarant is 5 star. Even the cafeteria has very good food.
Same guy that painted "The Scream". I guess they have some sunshine deprevation issues in Norway.
The impressionists collection is staggering. What no picture or print hsows you is the texture of the painting. van Gogh used very heavy brush storkes and this painting has a 3-D effect when viewed in person.
There are beautiful moving water ways throughout the grounds and one of them rains through this grotto.
An interesting Bronze done in the lost wax process.
- Hollywood's Most Historical Hotel
- See All Before a Dodger game!
- See All Page Museum - La Brea Tar Pits
- I'm feeling blue
american_tourister's Related Pages
Los Angeles Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Getting at the Heart of L.A."
- ""El Pueblo de la Reina de Los Angeles""
- "Coming to LA, see what all of SoCal has to offer!"
- "Los Angeles"
- "My Hometown: Los Angeles"
- "Gloss Angeles"
- "City of the Angels"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Los Angeles
- Hotels in Los Angeles
- Transportation in Los Angeles
- Nightlife in Los Angeles
- Restaurants in Los Angeles
- Shopping in Los Angeles
- Warnings and Dangers in Los Angeles
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Los Angeles
- 13 Reviews
- 49 Photos
- 7 Forum posts
- 22 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (11)
Have you been to Los Angeles?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Los Angeles
Photos in Los AngelesSee All Photos (49)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bosnia and Herzegovina Intro, 35 reviews, 51 photos, 4 travelogues
- Long Beach Intro, 24 reviews, 57 photos, 3 travelogues
- London Intro, 31 reviews, 45 photos
- Budapest Intro, 26 reviews, 41 photos, 2 travelogues
- Los Angeles Intro, 13 reviews, 49 photos, 5 travelogues
- Zagreb Intro, 18 reviews, 41 photos, 3 travelogues
- Moscow Intro, 13 reviews, 36 photos, 2 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 20 reviews, 21 photos
- Bahrain Intro, 14 reviews, 23 photos
- Kuwait Intro, 12 reviews, 25 photos, 1 travelogue