"Souvenirs from the Dominican By Umfufu" Top 5 Page for this destination Punta Cana Travelogue by Umfufu

Punta Cana Travel Guide: 430 reviews and 1,030 photos

Larimar and Amber

This is what you see a lot when you want to buy some necklesses or jewels. Larimar and Amber are the stones that are found in the Dominican Republic and very famous. I bought a little ring with both stones in it. Larimas is a blue rock (like a tile) with white, dark and light blue in it and they make it shine like they make a diamant shine. Amber is the juice of a tree and that get hard. Sometimes there is a little animal in it. In Puerto Plata is a Amber Museum where you can see an ancient piece of Amber with an animal in it.

Rolex?

If you have been around the world you know you can buy this watches on the corner of the street...ha ha a real Rolex is also what you can buy on the market of the Riu Hotel. Frans was smart enough not to buy one, for $250. But a real Rolex for $250 is cheap, so maybe he had bought it after all?????

T-shirts

Ha ha ha when i saw this picture i have made i was thinking about my VT friend Brdwtchr (Steve) when he was a little boy his parents used to go away a lot and bought him a t-shirt from where they went. I didnt bought him a t-shirt, but maybe when i go back i will and surprise him. Thousends of t-shirts with or with out Punta Cana on it, you can buy. They more you buy the cheaper it will get.

Amber

Again Amber but then so ugly you would buy it if it was for free. I hope i dont insult somebody right now who have bought it, but this pieces of Amber are so big and heavy they will let your head hang down if you would wear this neckless.

Wooden pens with amber

This pens are very funny and you will buy 3 in 1. Cause you have the wood art, the nature stone and a pen. And i think thats funny too, these are not so expensieve to as a gift to somebody. You have to make a special prize cause they start at a prize you are not even paying in your own hometown. Most of the times you have to start with a prize thats about 1/3 of what the marketman is telling you. If you end below 1/3 you have done a good job although you have payed more then you needed.

Cigars

If you wanna by good cigars you have to fly to Cuba...thats what they always say isnt it. But the same cigars as we bought in Cuba we could buy in the Dominican! My Dominican brother wanted to pull us an arm, but Frans knew how to save this all. We bougth 2 boxes for a high prize but $200 less then my Dominican brother started with! So for $80 we had 2 boxes of Monte Cristo nr.4 with 2 small boxes and 2 lose cigars...still a high prize for cigars who are going to be a present....! But its worth it, cause when you give this cigar to a cigarlover you have made a new friend if he / she wasnt already!!

Shells

My friend took this picture (Plendil) and as you can see they offer you shells and even the house of the turle for souvenirs.....DONT BUY !!!!!!!!!!!
You are breaking the law if you do so, and even if you find a piece of coral or a nice shell on the beach, you are not allowed to take it with you to your hometown. When they get you at the border you have to give it all back and have to pay a very high prize for taking it with you! So think twice......

My souvenirs

The souvenirs we brought are 2 paintings, a parrot, bottles of rum, a bottle of Mamajuana, a bottle of real sand of the Dominican beach and a merenque cd. So if i walk into my livingroom now i will be reminded of this pleased holiday we spend with our English friends in Punta Cana. Enjoy your holiday and bring something with you cause you never know if you are going back there and smell the country again!

Natural stones

If you like to buy just something for you neckless, you have a choise about all kind of natural stones made as a heart, animal, drop or just the shape it came from the artist. There are also little balls where they made a nice silver animal around. I bough my friends son an eagle claw with a nice piece of pink stone.

Lava stone

This statues are made from lavastone. For me this sounds like the stuff that is coming from a vulcano but i dont think there is a vulcano on the Dominican. But maybe its a little like it. They colours are very grey and dull, but the artist make something nice of it. Maybe you like to buy one? We didnt bought one, but you can buy statues from people, animals or astrays.

Rum

Brugal rum is the one and only to buy when you are in the Dominican Republic. In Puerto Plata is one of the fabrics. They show you around and on the end of the tour you can taste a new kind of rum. And ofcourse you can buy there. Sometimes its even cheaper to buy at this fabric then in your hotel, so make sure you know the prizes. We have bought 3 bottle of the 7 year old rum, and i have to say, with tears in my eyes, they are finished already !!!!!!!!!

Mamajuana

Ever drunk a Mamajuana???? Well i did and its nice. If you drink this you will be cured for all the things you have problems with, like your stomage or your head. But most popular this drink is for man.....its for POTENTIA! The ingredients are : Medical woods and roots, rum, red wine and honey. We bought the bottle with the roots and made the Mamajuana at home. Its hanging on my sealing to be nice and lovely...the neighbour tasted it and he loved it....So think about me when you buy your own bottle.

Wooden statues

We didnt bought one cause we were afraid of breaking it on our way back home....but i know a person on VT (who is a VT friend of mine who did, if you like to see it, have a look at my souvenir travelogues at my Europe page). You cant believe this people have only a knife and they can make something as beautifull as this. It worth to take a statue with you, if your house can handle the style.

Taino

Ofcourse some really Taino art cant miss on this page. Taino Indians were the first people who lived on the Dominican Republic. They also were the first on Cuba. If you like to know more about them, have a look at my Taino Indian travelogue at my Cuba page.
Frans and i bought two paintings with Taino art on it, but if we ever go back to the Dominican we will buy a statue like this as well.

Wooden masks

If you like to collect masks from around the world you may not miss a Dominican mask.
Some of them are really nice and you would be scared if you walked in your livingroom and saw it hanging on the wall. The colours they have put on them, just make the finishing touch.

Art work

Everywhere you go you will find some dolls, kwa kwa's (cars like a taxi only you pay less) and other things from clay. Most of the dolls dont have a face, cause Dominicans think they are not so important and the woman are not suppose to show who they are for real. They colours are so nice you would love to take a lot of things with you so you can brighten up your living room.

• Page Updated May 4, 2003

Comments

Umfufu

“When God created man,.........she was only kidding!”

Badges & Stats in Punta Cana

Have you been to Punta Cana?

Latest Activity in Punta Cana