"Iron Works - Seperate Buildings and Workshops" Nesgrenda Travelogue by gubbi1
Nesgrenda Travel Guide: 0 reviews and 23 photos
Taking a guided tour through the iron works will bring you to some of the sepaerate workshops around the main buildings. Here smiths were making new tools or reparing tools. The consistence of the iron was improved to stay competitive and things like fire ovens produced for heating homes.
On the photo above you can see how the iron was improved. In smaller ceramic cans the iron was placed with the right amount of coal. Of course much effort in engineering and research was necessary. The work itself was extremely strenous. Imagine that below the floor overns were continuesly running to melt the iron. The stones on which the workers roamed were so hot, that they needed special shoes with wet straw below the soles to prevent the feet from burning. But all the work helped the Naes Iron Work to remain in production much longer than their Norvegian competitors.
In another building you can see the huge hammers that were used to work with the metal. They were powered by the water that you could see on the first travelogue.
Some tooling that has remained and is now shown to the visitor on guided tours.
More work places. Much tooling is left here.
In one building you can have a look at the very beautiful ovens that were produced here. They are amazig and no wonder that they were even sold to the Danish king.
More Travelogues (2)
Written Feb 15, 2012
Iron Works - Outside
Written Feb 15, 2012
Iron Works - Inside
gubbi1's Related Pages
Badges & Stats in Nesgrenda
- 0 Reviews
- 23 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (18)
Have you been to Nesgrenda?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Nesgrenda
Photos in NesgrendaSee All Photos (23)
Top 10 Pages
- Vienna Intro, 40 reviews, 231 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oulu Intro, 55 reviews, 134 photos, 7 travelogues
- Lillehammer Intro, 8 reviews, 164 photos, 17 travelogues
- Nazareth Intro, 16 reviews, 124 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Akko Intro, 11 reviews, 122 photos, 10 travelogues
- Évora Intro, 13 reviews, 116 photos, 9 travelogues
- Røros Intro, 10 reviews, 107 photos, 9 travelogues
- Bet Guvrin Intro, 18 reviews, 89 photos
- Bet She`arim Intro, 11 reviews, 90 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tomar Intro, 12 reviews, 86 photos, 5 travelogues