"Rowing and rooflines in the fog..." York Travelogue by leics
York Travel Guide: 1,637 reviews and 4,012 photos
It was a misty, moisty November day when I visited York. But I still took photos...York's magnificently mixed architecture fascinates me.
It's very easy to only look at ground floors and not notice the building above them: that's where you will see the architectural features which give away the age and the history.
As for the numerous rowers chugging their way up the Ouse to their starting positions...well, rowing in grey, chilly November fog doesn't appeal to me, but there's nowt so queer as folk! :-)
Overhanging upper storeys on timber frames = 1400s to early 1700s. These are later rather than earlier: they have three storeys.
Up and down the rooflines go, according to when the houses were built...
Victorian red brick and mock-Gothic embellishment: definitely late 1800s.
Bay windows and pointed gable ends...1800s (the red brick gives it away)
Beautifully tiled exterior; almost certainly mid-late 1800s.
The subsidence tells you this is an old building...probably early 1700s.
Four-square red-brick town house. Probably not Victorian but pretty near. Late Georgian?
More Travelogues (1)
- See All St Leonard's Hospital
- See All Cheap eats in a spiritual setting
- See All Enjoy the architecture
- See All Super deli
- See All Queues at Betty's
leics' Related Pages
York Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "York - potential capital of the north"
- "The Old Capital of the North"
- "York - a standout amongst the pretenders"
- "History and shopping."
- "YORK - 2000 YEARS OF HISTORY"
- See All...
- Things to Do in York
- Hotels in York
- Transportation in York
- Nightlife in York
- Restaurants in York
- Shopping in York
- Warnings and Dangers in York
- See All...
Badges & Stats in York
- 40 Reviews
- 93 Photos
- 85 Forum posts
- 17 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (645)
Have you been to York?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in York
- Posted in Travel Stoke-upon-Trent Forum "Re: Advice on Burslem, Please?"
- created a York Travelogue "Rowing and rooflines in the fog..."
- Uploaded a Photo to "Rowing and rooflines in the fog..."
- Wrote a Review St Leonard's Hospital in York Off The Beaten Path
- Commented on one of HORSCHECK's York travel pages
Photos in YorkSee All Photos (93)
Top 10 Pages
- Krakow Intro, 49 reviews, 234 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bergamo Intro, 39 reviews, 222 photos, 9 travelogues
- Athens Intro, 36 reviews, 200 photos, 10 travelogues
- London Intro, 33 reviews, 168 photos, 10 travelogues
- Riga Intro, 31 reviews, 170 photos, 5 travelogues
- Florence Intro, 44 reviews, 155 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination England Intro, 62 reviews, 127 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kaunas Intro, 35 reviews, 153 photos, 5 travelogues
- Granada Intro, 29 reviews, 142 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Haven Intro, 32 reviews, 133 photos, 1 travelogue