"Heading outof Ostrich-Winkel along the Rhine River" Oestrich-Winkel Travelogue by aussirose

Oestrich-Winkel Travel Guide: 5 reviews and 17 photos

We didn't actually see the Mouse Castle until we were heading out of Ostrich-Winkel along the Rhine River. I kept a watch out because I knew it was here somewhere and I would have been dissapointed to have driven past and not noticed it.

It was a little difficult to stop as there are not many parking spots on the Oestrich-Winkel side of the river, but we managed to squeeze off onto the side of the road for a few quick snap shots. I was very happy to have seen this amazing little Castle! :o)

The Mouse Castle is located on an island in the middle of the Rhine River near Bingen. I was fascinated to hear the story behind the name. Aparently this fella called Hatto took over the Archbishop seat in Mainz in 968 and reigned Bingen. He used to stay in this Castle thinking he was safe. One day he became ill and aparently was overcome by thousands of mice and died. That is why it is called the Mouse Tower.

If you have been following along with me on our great Europe journey you will have noticed that we were looking forward to seeing many unusual sights along the way. Unusual that is for us Aussies that do not see these type of things back home. Such things as Clocks in Zurich, timber houses, cobblestone pathways and narrow streets.

Now it was time to see the castles :o)

Each side of the Rhine River are these big hills and around every bend there was a different Castle purched up on the steep slopes.

It was amazing to see!

I was happily snapping from the back seat of the car :o)

Zoomed in for a better shot here and managed to photograph an aircraft trail in the background.

Whilst playing 'spot the castle' we discovered this one. WoW! :o)

In fact we boarded the next ferry across the river to get a better view.

Pfalzgafenstein Castle as I was later to find out was used to collect river tolls. Aparently a chain was placed across the river and forced ships to submit and traders that didn't were placed in the dungeon until a ransom was delivered.

Interesting hey :o)

Not only is the Rhine River famous for it's many castles but also for it's vinyards.

Acres of vinyards lined the hills and we were wondering how they could harvest them on such steep slopes.

Obviously the wine growers do well for themselves as you can see here....the same as ours do in Australia :o)

We were glad to come across another ferry departure point as we needed to get back across the river and head towards our next destination.

I gather that it must be popular here during the summer months. We spied a caravan park. Bet this one is booked a year in advance! :o)

Anyway, next destination is Braubach - also discovered via Globetrott's pages here on vt. We were also looking forward to staying in the same Hotel that Michael did. More about that story on my Braubach page - please click the link below for those of you that are following along with me on our big Europe trip.

• Page Updated May 9, 2016

“A free Rose from the garden is a girl's best friend.”

Badges & Stats in Oestrich-Winkel

Have you been to Oestrich-Winkel?