"Feb. 2011 earthquake: Liquefaction" Top 5 Page for this destination Christchurch Travelogue by Kakapo2
Christchurch Travel Guide: 1,251 reviews and 2,676 photos
As Christchurch was built on sand - on unstable ground, wetlands, you name it - the enormous ground acceleration liquefied the underground, meaning sand and water were separated, and gluey, grey silt was squeezed to the surface, shooting to the surface like thousands of erupting volcanoes, setting roads and properties under a huge layer of heavy silt.
Trucks picked up the silt and transported it to special dumps.
Neighbours helping each other. Also people from far away - farmers and student - came to the help of the not so fit Cantabrians.
Water and sewerage pipes broke and set the cracked roads under water. On dry days Christchurch disappeared under clouds of dust.
More Travelogues (26)
- See All The new after-quake double-decker city...
- See All Produce and fruit fresh from the orchard
- See All Local transport after the earthquakes
- See All Pure indulgence
- See All Scared Scriptless comedy show
- See All Accommodation after the February...
- See All Christchurch Heroes
- See All Tour Buses are no Banksafes
- See All Mountain Biking in the Port Hills on a...
- See All Succulent Steaks and Divine Desserts
- See All A new Maori Experience on the Styx River
- See All KoTane have found a new Source of Income
Kakapo2's Related Pages
Christchurch Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Shaken but not beaten: A city rising from ruins"
- "My Home - The (Shakey) Garden City"
- "Over Looking Lyttelton Harbour"
- "Charming Christchurch"
- "My winter holiday in summer"
- "Christchurch - Gateway to the South Island"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Christchurch
- Hotels in Christchurch
- Transportation in Christchurch
- Nightlife in Christchurch
- Restaurants in Christchurch
- Shopping in Christchurch
- Warnings and Dangers in Christchurch
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Christchurch
- 244 Reviews
- 604 Photos
- 152 Forum posts
- 29 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (39)
Have you been to Christchurch?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Christchurch
- Posted in Travel Lyttelton Forum "Re: Lyttelton Custom House"
- Commented on one of Kakapo2's Christchurch travel pages
- updated a Christchurch Travel Page "Shaken but not beaten: A city rising from ruins"
- Uploaded a Photo to "The Press Building ? better than The Press LOL"
- Wrote a Review The new after-quake double-decker city tours in Christchurch Things to Do
Photos in ChristchurchSee All Photos (604)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Christchurch Intro, 244 reviews, 606 photos, 27 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Berlin Intro, 124 reviews, 201 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wellington Intro, 93 reviews, 172 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lyttelton Intro, 65 reviews, 170 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Zealand Intro, 81 reviews, 150 photos, 5 travelogues
- West Coast Intro, 68 reviews, 155 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ulm Intro, 55 reviews, 152 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Canterbury Intro, 34 reviews, 145 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Akaroa Intro, 72 reviews, 84 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bora-Bora Intro, 49 reviews, 102 photos, 7 travelogues