"Paulskirche and Römerberg" Frankfurt am Main Travelogue by Russell_the_Wombat
Frankfurt am Main Travel Guide: 1,798 reviews and 3,953 photos
Paulskirche is a strange church. It is oval. Mommy told me something about churches with transversal layouts but I am leaving that to her, that concerns the topic of her research.
This building made German history. The first german parliament held its sessions here. This parliament, or National Assembly, was installed after the revolution of 1848. It did not last long and it was not successful. But because of that the church ceased to be a church. It is now a memorial hall and museum for democracy.
Opposite Paulskirche we see the side front of the city hall. Frankfurt is a big city, and with its growth the city hall grew, too. They added more and more wings with offices for the ever growing administration.
The iconic facade has remained: the three stepped gables facing Römerberg square. Two more gables were added on the right in the 1950s.
Look! They are already setting up the Christmas tree. In a couple of weeks the Christmas market will be here.
These houses on the opposite side of the square are not as old as they pretend. They were rebuilt from scratch after the destructions of World War II. But tourists love them and believe that they see "old Frankfurt".
Hoey okay, I am a tourist, too, so I wanted to have my photo taken with them.
Russell_the_Wombat's Related Pages
Frankfurt am Main Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Home of the world's best opera company"
- "The most Un-German City in Germany"
- "Main Metropolis"
- "A city better than its reputation"
- "Frankfurt - aka "Mainhattan""
- See All...
- Things to Do in Frankfurt am Main
- Hotels in Frankfurt am Main
- Transportation in Frankfurt am Main
- Nightlife in Frankfurt am Main
- Restaurants in Frankfurt am Main
- Shopping in Frankfurt am Main
- Warnings and Dangers in Frankfurt am Main
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Frankfurt am Main
- 0 Reviews
- 56 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (1)
Have you been to Frankfurt am Main?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Frankfurt am Main
Photos in Frankfurt am MainSee All Photos (56)
Top 10 Pages
- Berlin Intro, 118 photos, 15 travelogues
- Wroclaw Intro, 111 photos, 16 travelogues
- Baden-Baden Intro, 98 photos, 13 travelogues
- Schwetzingen Intro, 97 photos, 14 travelogues
- Stuttgart Intro, 94 photos, 13 travelogues
- Karlsruhe Intro, 94 photos, 12 travelogues
- Basel Intro, 89 photos, 12 travelogues
- Würzburg Intro, 83 photos, 10 travelogues
- Hanau am Main Intro, 83 photos, 10 travelogues
- Chemnitz Intro, 78 photos, 11 travelogues