"Old Opera House and Struwwelpeter" Frankfurt am Main Travelogue by Russell_the_Wombat
Frankfurt am Main Travel Guide: 1,800 reviews and 3,953 photos
This is the Old Opera. In former times it used to be Frankfurt's opera house, but now the theatre has new buildings. This one has been carefully restored adn is now used for concerts, shows and events.
Hauptwache, the busiest square in the centre, is just a short walk away. They are connected by a street named Fressgass, famous for its many eateries. We stopped at a cafe there for a second breakfast, coffee and cake, and then came into the very centre.
In this square they have a fountain which looks funny at first sight, The main figure is a little boy with a giant mane of long hair and fingernails grown into long claws. This is Struwwelpeter, a character from a famous old children's book. It is one of those pathetic old-fashioned stories which were meant to be educational. The little boy, Peter, was very naughty and always refused to have his hair combed and trimmed and his fingernails clipped. So he grew into this monstrous appearance.
The book contains more stories about all varieties of misbehaviour in children and their really nasty consequences. The stories were meant to be a warning and educate children, but actually they are more likely to cause them nightmares.
The only funny story among them all, in this little wombat's opinion, is the one about the hare who fooled the hunter and won against him.
Russell_the_Wombat's Related Pages
Frankfurt am Main Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Home of the world's best opera company"
- "The most Un-German City in Germany"
- "Main Metropolis"
- "A city better than its reputation"
- "Frankfurt - aka "Mainhattan""
- See All...
- Things to Do in Frankfurt am Main
- Hotels in Frankfurt am Main
- Transportation in Frankfurt am Main
- Nightlife in Frankfurt am Main
- Restaurants in Frankfurt am Main
- Shopping in Frankfurt am Main
- Warnings and Dangers in Frankfurt am Main
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Frankfurt am Main
- 0 Reviews
- 56 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (1)
Have you been to Frankfurt am Main?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Frankfurt am Main
Photos in Frankfurt am MainSee All Photos (56)
Top 10 Pages
- Berlin Intro, 118 photos, 15 travelogues
- Wroclaw Intro, 111 photos, 16 travelogues
- Baden-Baden Intro, 98 photos, 13 travelogues
- Schwetzingen Intro, 97 photos, 14 travelogues
- Stuttgart Intro, 94 photos, 13 travelogues
- Karlsruhe Intro, 94 photos, 12 travelogues
- Basel Intro, 89 photos, 12 travelogues
- Würzburg Intro, 83 photos, 10 travelogues
- Hanau am Main Intro, 83 photos, 10 travelogues
- Chemnitz Intro, 78 photos, 11 travelogues