"The Coast Path Walk To Bull Point" Mortehoe Travelogue by johngayton
Mortehoe Travel Guide: 12 reviews and 42 photos
The walk from Morte Point to the lighthouse at Bull Point and looping back across the moors makes for an energetic couple of hours of aerobic exercise as the Coast Path rises and falls about 500 feet at a time over the course of the two miles between the two Points.
The gate here leads from the village centre onto the Coast Path at Morte Point
After rounding the next headland, and the first descent and ascent, the Bull Point lighthouse comes into view.
The scenery is often described as "dramatic" - yep I can attest to that. Even on a calm sunny day the rock formations are suitably threatening. During the winter of 1852 a total of five ships were wrecked on this part of the coastline which led to the building of the original Bull Point lighthouse.
As you approach Bull Point you get a great view backwards to your starting point. It's interesting the difference in the perspective looking backwards as the character of the rocks and cliffs has changed entirely from this angle.
The present Bull Point lighthouse was built in 1974 after the original was damaged when the cliff face gave way in 1972 (having operated continuously for 93 years).
Now that the light operates automatically the former keepers cottages are available as self-catering lets and there is a single track road leading from the main road into the village for access.
- See All Where To Get Pretty Much Everything Else
- Rockham Beach
- See All The 3 Pubs - #3 The Chichester Arms
johngayton's Related Pages
Mortehoe Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Mortehoe
- Hotels in Mortehoe
- Transportation in Mortehoe
- Restaurants in Mortehoe
- Shopping in Mortehoe
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Mortehoe
- 12 Reviews
- 42 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (196)
Have you been to Mortehoe?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Mortehoe
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lundy Island Intro, 74 reviews, 313 photos, 7 travelogues
- Berlin Intro, 75 reviews, 266 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Exeter Intro, 88 reviews, 252 photos, 2 travelogues
- Krakow Intro, 67 reviews, 225 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Varna Intro, 65 reviews, 182 photos, 3 travelogues
- Saint Petersburg Intro, 49 reviews, 195 photos, 6 travelogues
- Bergamo Intro, 40 reviews, 196 photos, 6 travelogues
- Copenhagen Intro, 55 reviews, 176 photos, 5 travelogues
- Moscow Intro, 41 reviews, 189 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Plymouth Intro, 61 reviews, 152 photos, 1 travelogue