"Old City Walls and a bit of History" Rothenburg ob der Tauber Travelogue by aussirose

Rothenburg ob der Tauber Travel Guide: 595 reviews and 1,876 photos

Now I'm not into history. Geography was my favourite subject at school :o)

But you couldn't help but marvel here at the old wall and towers with their lovely arches and stuff like that. Australia doesn't have this.

So I found myself taking a bit on interest in the history of this amazing town.

We decided to walk a bit of the wall after breakky and just before our departure.

This was the place I discovered the petrified Koala :o)

Old places like this often conjure up vivid thoughts of what it would have been like in the old days.

I wouldn't have made a good guard. I'd be too busy being distracted by the beauty surrounding me :o)

We climbed the many stairs to the top of one of the towers and the view was awesome! :o)

I was enthralled with the sight of the wall surrounding the city with some towers thrown in between. This was what got me interested in learning a bit more about the history behind it.

Ok, this is the first time I have done this....a copy and paste job. But I found this very interesting -

In March 1945 in World War II, German soldiers were stationed in Rothenburg to defend it. On March 31, bombs were dropped over Rothenburg by 16 planes, killing 39 people and destroying 306 houses, six public buildings, nine watchtowers, and over 2,000 feet (610 m) of the wall. The U.S Assistant Secretary of War John J. McCloy knew about the historic importance and beauty of Rothenburg, so he ordered US Army General Jacob L. Devers not use artillery in taking Rothenburg. The local military commander Major Thömmes ignored the order of Adolf Hitler for all towns to fight to the end and gave up the town, thereby saving it from total destruction by artillery. American troops of the 12th Infantry Regiment, 4th Division occupied the town on April 17, 1945, and in November 1948 McCloy was named Honorable Protectorate of Rothenburg. After the war, the residents of the city quickly repaired the bombing damage. Donations for the rebuilding were received from all over the world. The rebuilt walls feature commemorative bricks with donor names. - Lifted from Wikipedia.

This was the devistation after the bombings.

And I took a picture of it now.

A fantastic restoration job.

I recognised this old house from the postcards that we saw at the top of the tower.

It is one of the few structures that survived the bombings in 1945.

Last Travelogue.

• Page Updated May 9, 2016

“A free Rose from the garden is a girl's best friend.”

Badges & Stats in Rothenburg ob der Tauber

Have you been to Rothenburg ob der Tauber?

Videos in Rothenburg ob der Tauber