"Hawaiian Trip, 2009, Part XXII : Caving" Top 5 Page for this destination Hawaii (State of) Travelogue by joiwatani

Hawaii (State of) Travel Guide: 11,208 reviews and 30,097 photos

My daughters and I had been coming to Hawaii almost every two years and we have never been to this cave. We never knew about it and nobody told us about it.

The driving around Hawaii was definitely a treat for us because we were about to see this cave! It was an adventurous time for us...

When I lived in Hawaii, I also didn't know about this cave. Neither my relatives or friends. I am not sure why the State of Hawaii never developed this place. I guess, it's because the government don't like to show to tourists some of the realities in Hawaii- that there are many homeless people on this side of the island since you have to pass miles and miles of made-shift shelters for homelss people.

The beach going to this cave has so many shacks on them- little tiny shelters made of boxes or trash bags. There were so many of them! It's like a little village of homeless people!

There were so many garbage on the street leading to this cave. There were old refrigerators, mattresses, black trash bags, etc. I have not seen this side of Hawaii before. I was dumbfounded!

When we reached at the mouth of the cave, there were many broken bottles of beers. I warned my daughters to be very careful so they won't hurt themselves.

We were a little bit scared when we went to the cave because we didn't know what to expect. We were worried, we might find some homeless people there taking drugs or might be exposing my children to some stuff...I was scared...

But, when we got inside the cave, we didn't see any of those and I was relieved!

We just took pictures of ourselves and left!

• Page Updated May 9, 2016

joiwatani Used To Live Here!

“Buy yourself and your children the experience of travel”

Badges & Stats in Hawaii (State of)

Have you been to Hawaii (State of)?

Videos in Hawaii (State of)