VirtualTourist.com will close on Feb 27th.

"The Chronicles of Vilnius" Vilnius Travelogue by Mikebond

Vilnius Travel Guide: 1,744 reviews and 3,662 photos

The journey

My Lithuanian trip began at 7.48 am on a cloudy and rainy day of June (had I not known the date, I would have supposed it was September) from the Rovigo railway station.
For an experienced train traveller like me, it was easy to reach the railway station of Bergamo, a lovely city whose charm was spoilt by the Orio al Serio airport, so that now everyone knows the airport as Milan's low-cost airport and is not aware of anything worth-seeing in Bergamo, one of the most romantic cities in the paeninsula (forget Venice!).
The Bergamo railway station is incredibly small and under-developed, especially if compared to the airport. Anyway, I bought two bus tickets for the airport. The bus trip was very fast (maybe too fast: I often felt the driver was not considering the speed-limits as worth noticing...) and uncommon. Close to me stood a group of African youngsters who spoke a mixture of French and Italian, but the weirdest thing was their perfect Bergamasque accent! That's a good example of successful integration!
When I arrived at the airport, I started feeling bad. I haven't travelled much by plane so far, but I had been to some big airports. Still, no airport had ever given me that feeling of stress and craziness as Orio al Serio did.
I had arrived with a considerable advance, so I had to wait a while before being able to have my backpack checked-in.

(to be continued)

• Page Updated May 9, 2016

Comments

Mikebond

“All you need is Europe!”

Badges & Stats in Vilnius

Have you been to Vilnius?

Photos in Vilnius