"Oceanside, California My Mom's New Home" Personal Page by arielky

Summer of 2011

I returned to the U.S. from China because I felt that my mother needed me. She'd just had arterial surgery and had stints put in both of her legs... but even more, she missed me. I hadn't seen her in eight years and the year before, my father had died. I didn't have the money to return for the funeral, and had been intending to visit her when I could. I still didn't have the money for a visit. Being paid in renminbi in China makes it difficult to put the money together for a trip to the U.S., especially when you spend a month's vacation in Thailand... but that's another story.

The summer weather in Oceanside was wonderful. My mother and I got to know each other much better than we had for a long time, again that was both good and bad. Eventually I left for a job in Saudi Arabia, teaching at a women's university in Riyadh, where I'm now writing this.

I went swimming nearly daily back in Oceanside at the wonderful outdoor pool in the retirement community where my mother lives. Enjoy my photos from my time back in the U.S.! This first one is of a family of ducks that came and went on the lakelet next to my Mom's mobile home. We often saw them traipsing down the neighbor's driveway on their way to the lake.

• Page Written Nov 6, 2011

Comments

Share your travels with the world!

Join Now!

arielky

“Honor the Spirit in Everything”

Ranked Member