"Comedy of Errors -2011" Linthicum Travelogue by grandmaR

Linthicum Travel Guide: 13 reviews and 72 photos

We were supposed to leave on the Carnival Pride for Bermuda today. We are in a hotel in Linthicum instead. Actually I am in a hotel in Linthicum - Bob is driving back to Leonardtown to get my passport.

I started to pack on Friday. I absolutely can NOT find my nice black skirt and jacket that I always wear for formal nights, nor can I find my shirt that goes with a cotton jacket that I wear during the day in the summer. I don't know where they can be. I finished packing Saturday - I have a small duffle and mother's red roller bag and the computer bag. Bob has the big brown roller bag, a green bag and two black bags.

Yesterday after we picked up the rental car and loaded all the luggage and scooter into it, I got a robo call from Carnival telling me that the ship had been delayed and not to leave until I heard from them. Bob didn't pick up the phone so he didn't know this - I thought I heard him pick up, but he didn't. I tried to find the Pride on the charts but the only thing I saw was a little bit off Ft Pierce coming from Freeport on Friday. I went to the internet and other people were talking about it but there was no real information. Carnival wanted us to get text messages, but I don't do text messages. We called Bob's brother David who was also traveling with us, but his phone wasn't being answered.

Finally I got an email from Carnival stating that we would board Monday morning 9-12. The ship ran into the big low - I guess off NC - with seas of 20 feet and the young teen club and the arcade room on deck 4 were damaged. The Pride is in Baltimore now and people are getting off but they can also wait until 7 am tomorrow to get off if they want to.

It would be difficult for us to get to Baltimore by 9 - I used to do it when I was working, but I had to leave by about 6. After a lot of discussion, Bob thought we should turn in the rental car and drive my car up. I found a hotel (Country Inn & Suites near BWI) that had free cruise parking and made a reservation there for tonight. She said we couldn't have a shuttle to the port because they weren't doing those reservations for new bookings. David called us back and said that he had gotten the message too - I was afraid that he had already gone to his daughters for her to take him to the ship.

We turned all the clocks back for daylight savings

So Bob switched all the luggage from one car to the other and we returned the rental car. Bob said to do that at 9, but they don't open until 10 on Sunday. But the man inside took the keys - it cost about $33.00 to drive 20 miles - just to the house and back.

Bob wanted to leave about noon, even tho the hotel check-in wasn't until 3. So we left at noon. First we turned off the TVs, satellite, modem and water. I took a photo with the camera as we left but didn't remember how to switch it to standard time.

I took some photos on the way up to compare with the old camera. Although it was sunny today and it was rainy last week I think the photos are clearer with the new camera.

We had lunch at Boston Market. - pulled BBQ chicken sandwiches. Bob ate half of his and took half with him. I ate all mine.

We checked into the hotel and she said she could upgrade us to a port shuttle for an extra $20.00 which is a good deal, so we unloaded the car and brought everything up to the room.

Then we sat around and watched football and I downloaded my photos from the new camera and Bob ate the other half of his sandwich and had a nap (good). As we were leaving for dinner at Chilis (which is next door), I suddenly had a horrible thought - I had forgotten my passport. I have lost my appetite and not sure I will have dinner.

In any case this hotel has free breakfast and we plan to eat that at 7 and then take the luggage down to the lobby and wait for a shuttle. Cross fingers that tomorrow will be better.

The weather in Bermuda is supposed to be quite windy with thundershowers and I haven't heard from the guide I was supposed to meet in St George to see if I can meet him at the Dockyard as I don't think I will be able to get to St. George by 1330 because we aren't arriving until 1300 at the Dockyard.

Tomorrow we try the shuttle van embarkation trick

By the way - Bob said the round trip was 175 miles and took 4 hours including getting gas and a hamburger en-route. He said he listened to NPR who were having old radio mystery shows - one every half hour, and it was very enjoyable.

• Page Updated May 9, 2016

“"..an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered." G.K. Chesterton”

Badges & Stats in Linthicum

Have you been to Linthicum?

Latest Activity in Linthicum