"First day in Europe - Zurich" Zürich Travelogue by aussirose

Zürich Travel Guide: 1,929 reviews and 5,749 photos

How exciting! First time in Europe!! The trip that we have wanted to go on since I first joined vt over 10 years ago!!

Finally!! We are here...and this is my first sighting of the famous Swiss Alps! :o_)

Woohoo!! We have arrived!! Switzerland!! :o)

I had not slept for goodness knows how long!...and we were due to arrive in Zurich at 8am in the morning. We had been travelling 12 hours from Singapore and 5 hours before that from Perth, Australia.....so I was right now running on pure adrenalin!

Ok....first funny sign.... ;o) And here is the story -

We arrived in Zurich and jumped into our hire car full of excitement. Hubby did not set up the GPS. Big mistake ;o) So, here we are...exiting Zurich airport and past the funny exit sign "Ausfarht"....translation in Australian..."Wind from Downunder"...haha :o)

Mmmmm....here we are.....still laughing our heads off and hubby said to me whilst navigating past the Ausfarht sign and onto a multi-lane highway, on the 'Other' side of the road....
"Hey! Where are we going?!" To which I promptly replied, "Ahhhhh......Dunno! ...just keep driving!"

Anyway...long story short... we drove straight through the centre of Zurich and managed to find a parking space in which to set up the GPS. Thank goodness the GPS worked and we proceeded to drive back through the centre of Zurich and to our bed and Breakfast accommodation located in between Zurich and the airport :o)

btw, the GPS was our guide for the next week or so and also in Spain and it worked at treat! We could not have lived without this amazing little invention and we are so glad that we bought it!

We arrived at the B&B safely.....no dents on the car ;o) ....thanks to the trusty Tom Tom and were greeted by our lovely hosts (more about that in the B&B tip).

With no time to lose, we dropped our luggage and walked down to catch the tram into town. On the way there was a local pub....ahhhh, time to stop and celebrate our arrival in Europe, taste the local beer and send a few text messages to the family.

We came back to the local a couple of times after a big day sightseeing and later the owner of the B&B said that it was the dodgy part of town. Ok....that would explain the strange looks we received by the locals. .....but who cares?!! We were on holiday, the beers were cheap and refreshing.....and we were having fun!! :o)

I was blown away with the stunning scenery when we arrived in the city! The lake and bridges were awesome.....and the clocks were just lovely :o)

We sat at the Hotel Zum Storchen for a little while, had a couple of beers and enjoyed the view and ambience.

There were obviously quite a few tourists like us doing the same thing.

I chose to take tropicrd and hubby Rex, also Hansi and LoriPori as va's (that is virtual attendees) with me on our Europe holiday.

So time to get the va's out and show them the sights. :o)

As I said at the outset, Zurich is Clock city.

During our Europe trip we were about to see numerous clocks, buildings, castles, palaces.....stuff us Aussies do not get to see on a daily basis....

So we turned into happy snappers for the next couple of weeks....until we were all clock, tudor house, castle and palaced out! haha.

Ok....another clock :o) ....Sorry.

We waited for this one to get to the 12 midday. I took a video.....stay tuned.

Next Travelogue.

• Page Updated May 9, 2016

• SONG's Profile Photo
    Jun 29, 2014 at 5:32 AM

After living three years in Europe, I WAS clocked, castled,rivered, museumed, breweryed, tudor housed,and palaced out also!!!! hey.....next time take me also as one of your VA's......I'll even bring the convertible. Great travelogue.

“A free Rose from the garden is a girl's best friend.”

Badges & Stats in Zürich