"Amsterdam - Can't get enough of those Canals!!" Amsterdam Travelogue by aussirose

Amsterdam Travel Guide: 10,686 reviews and 22,765 photos

The first question people ask me when they learn that I visited Amsterdam is "Did you go to the Red Light District?"

"Yeh, sure," I say. However, that is not what I went to Amsterdam for.

Amsterdam for me has always been those romantic canals.....and I could not get enough of them! :o)

Not far from our Houseboat I stumbled across the lovely canal that I had seen so many pix of. Beautiful, isn't it!! :o)

My pic is not as good as some I have seen.....but that is probably because I was so busy actually standing there and admiring it :o)

To add to the beauty of the canals in Amsterdam, flowering shrubs can be seen everywhere and even in planter pots on the bridges.

I was in heaven!! lol.

Now I'm not really into history, but when touring Europe one cannot help but be a little intregued with the historical stories of how things came to be.

I was interested to learn that the canals are man made and that Amsterdam is way below sea level. That's pretty scary stuff!.... So the stories of the Dykes that I heard when I was young are all true!

I certainly hope Amsterdam does not get flooded as it would be a shame to see these lovely canals destroyed.

A Nice way to check out the canals is to do a canal tour.

I enjoyed our canal tour. There was an interesting sight around every corner and I think my camera went into overdrive haha. I certainly was!! :o)

I don't know who lives here.... Hey PJ....do you think you could arrange a tour mate?....

Flash hey! :o)

If I ever come to Amsterdam again, I think we'll do the Casino.

Looking down the canal near the Casino, I admired the walkway complete with nice cafes. We didn't have time to check it out..... there's always something you wish you had more time to see hey.

So it's all arranged!..... Casino and all afternoon lunch and drinks at a cafe along that canal.....next time :o)

Well that's always an excuse to come back isn't it..... :o)

Another quiet moment in Amsterdam....

Everyone who has visited Amsterdam knows how busy the place is! In fact we escaped the busy streets by taking a canal cruise.

The scenery changed along the way from houseboats to large shipping docks to seeing the Nemo Museum to cruising past the expensive, ritzy areas ..... and then ..... this -

A quiet moment on one of the back canals in Amsterdam.

Next Travelogue

• Page Updated May 9, 2016

Comments

aussirose

“A free Rose from the garden is a girl's best friend.”

Badges & Stats in Amsterdam

Have you been to Amsterdam?

Latest Activity in Amsterdam