"Amsterdam - Can't get enough of those Canals!!" Amsterdam Travelogue by aussirose
Amsterdam Travel Guide: 10,687 reviews and 22,710 photos
The first question people ask me when they learn that I visited Amsterdam is "Did you go to the Red Light District?"
"Yeh, sure," I say. However, that is not what I went to Amsterdam for.
Amsterdam for me has always been those romantic canals.....and I could not get enough of them! :o)
Not far from our Houseboat I stumbled across the lovely canal that I had seen so many pix of. Beautiful, isn't it!! :o)
My pic is not as good as some I have seen.....but that is probably because I was so busy actually standing there and admiring it :o)
To add to the beauty of the canals in Amsterdam, flowering shrubs can be seen everywhere and even in planter pots on the bridges.
I was in heaven!! lol.
Now I'm not really into history, but when touring Europe one cannot help but be a little intregued with the historical stories of how things came to be.
I was interested to learn that the canals are man made and that Amsterdam is way below sea level. That's pretty scary stuff!.... So the stories of the Dykes that I heard when I was young are all true!
I certainly hope Amsterdam does not get flooded as it would be a shame to see these lovely canals destroyed.
A Nice way to check out the canals is to do a canal tour.
I enjoyed our canal tour. There was an interesting sight around every corner and I think my camera went into overdrive haha. I certainly was!! :o)
I don't know who lives here.... Hey PJ....do you think you could arrange a tour mate?....
Flash hey! :o)
If I ever come to Amsterdam again, I think we'll do the Casino.
Looking down the canal near the Casino, I admired the walkway complete with nice cafes. We didn't have time to check it out..... there's always something you wish you had more time to see hey.
So it's all arranged!..... Casino and all afternoon lunch and drinks at a cafe along that canal.....next time :o)
Well that's always an excuse to come back isn't it..... :o)
Another quiet moment in Amsterdam....
Everyone who has visited Amsterdam knows how busy the place is! In fact we escaped the busy streets by taking a canal cruise.
The scenery changed along the way from houseboats to large shipping docks to seeing the Nemo Museum to cruising past the expensive, ritzy areas ..... and then ..... this -
A quiet moment on one of the back canals in Amsterdam.
More Travelogues (9)
- Tram travel is easy in Amsterdam
- Cycle pitfalls
- Grocery Shopping
- See All Best apple pie I have ever tasted!!
aussirose's Related Pages
Amsterdam Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "MY BIRTHPLACE"
- "God made the Dutch, but the Dutch made Holland"
- "Amsterdam - I love it!"
- "Amsterdam, is it real?"
- "Amsterdam, where the Dutch money is spend"
- "Amsterdam! The most liberal city in the World"
- "Dutch Arts and History."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Amsterdam
- Hotels in Amsterdam
- Transportation in Amsterdam
- Nightlife in Amsterdam
- Restaurants in Amsterdam
- Shopping in Amsterdam
- Warnings and Dangers in Amsterdam
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Amsterdam
- 15 Reviews
- 108 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (102)
Have you been to Amsterdam?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Amsterdam
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: BIG SYDNEY VT MEET"
- updated a Amsterdam Travel Page "Amsterdam - Bikes, Boats and Booze"
- Commented on one of pieter_jan_v's Amsterdam tips
- Uploaded a Video to Amsterdam
- Uploaded a Photo to "The Heineken Experience FBI on the job"
- Wrote a Review Tram travel is easy in Amsterdam about Trams in Amsterdam Transportation
Photos in AmsterdamSee All Photos (108)
Videos in AmsterdamSee All Videos (3)
Top 10 Pages
- Kuala Lumpur Intro, 48 reviews, 281 photos, 18 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Perth Intro, 57 reviews, 168 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cairns Intro, 35 reviews, 184 photos, 10 travelogues
- Morocco Intro, 20 reviews, 166 photos, 10 travelogues
- Darwin Intro, 26 reviews, 157 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Margaret River Intro, 30 reviews, 147 photos, 8 travelogues
- Europe Intro, 22 reviews, 152 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kakadu National Park Intro, 25 reviews, 147 photos, 11 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 9 reviews, 157 photos, 18 travelogues
- Pulau Langkawi Intro, 18 reviews, 148 photos, 8 travelogues