"Cliff Shelf Trail" Badlands National Park Travelogue by Toughluck
Badlands National Park Travel Guide: 150 reviews and 429 photos
Shelfs are created when the underlying soil washes out and collapses the soils from above. The collapsed soil is denser and holds water longer than the surrounding areas. Thus, large plants can begin to grow. You'll be able to spot small shelfs through out the park, once you've seen the Cliff Shelf.
The Eastern Red Cedar or Juniper are a pioneer tree and about the largest that can grow in this pocket of moisture. Down along the rivers, you'll see cottonwoods, where their roots can burrow deep down to regular water sources, but here on the shelf, it's small oaks and the red cedar.
More Travelogues (1)
Toughluck's Related Pages
Badlands National Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Awesome Badlands National Park!"
- "Basaic Badlands National Park Page"
- "On Second Glance: Not So Bad After All"
- "Beautiful Badlands"
- "Not really a honeymoon ;)"
- "The Beautiful Badlands"
- "Badlands - A place with "Rocks""
- See All...
- Things to Do in Badlands National Park
- Hotels in Badlands National Park
- Transportation in Badlands National Park
- Nightlife in Badlands National Park
- Restaurants in Badlands National Park
- Warnings and Dangers in Badlands National Park
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Badlands National Park
- 13 Reviews
- 48 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (96)
Have you been to Badlands National Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Badlands National Park
Photos in Badlands National ParkSee All Photos (48)
Top 10 Pages
- Valparaiso Intro, 86 reviews, 229 photos, 9 travelogues
- United States of America Intro, 42 reviews, 167 photos, 8 travelogues
- Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore Intro, 44 reviews, 151 photos, 6 travelogues
- Denver Intro, 32 reviews, 139 photos, 7 travelogues
- Seattle Intro, 16 reviews, 138 photos, 11 travelogues
- Indiana Intro, 26 reviews, 112 photos, 7 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 14 reviews, 113 photos, 8 travelogues
- Cleveland Intro, 36 reviews, 90 photos, 4 travelogues
- Chicago Intro, 31 reviews, 86 photos, 5 travelogues
- Yellowstone National Park Intro, 16 reviews, 93 photos, 9 travelogues