"The Door Trail" Badlands National Park Travelogue by Toughluck
Badlands National Park Travel Guide: 150 reviews and 429 photos
The Door Trail goes into the Big Badlands of the eastern side of the park. There is a boardwalk for a portion of the trail, getting you around the ridge that blocks your view.
Wildlife appears scarce, but there are many animals throughout the park. The prairies are the where the biggest animals are, bison (buffalo), antelope and deer. The rest of the park includes smaller critters, including mice, squirrels, chipmunks, porcupine, the animals they live on and the animals that live on them.
Yes, this is a land of the reptiles, including snakes.
The Door Trail's best feature is that you leave the boardwalk and the marked trail to wander through the badlands. Watch for the yellow markers, that show you the main points along the trail. You are free to wander about, finding the easiest way to get from post to post, leading to the end of the plateau.
Looking back towards where you've come from, you'll be able to spot the 'window' overlook. Otherwise there is a ridge between you, the parking lot and the road.
More Travelogues (1)
Toughluck's Related Pages
Badlands National Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Awesome Badlands National Park!"
- "Basaic Badlands National Park Page"
- "On Second Glance: Not So Bad After All"
- "Beautiful Badlands"
- "Not really a honeymoon ;)"
- "The Beautiful Badlands"
- "Badlands - A place with "Rocks""
- See All...
- Things to Do in Badlands National Park
- Hotels in Badlands National Park
- Transportation in Badlands National Park
- Nightlife in Badlands National Park
- Restaurants in Badlands National Park
- Warnings and Dangers in Badlands National Park
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Badlands National Park
- 13 Reviews
- 48 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (96)
Have you been to Badlands National Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Badlands National Park
Photos in Badlands National ParkSee All Photos (48)
Top 10 Pages
- Valparaiso Intro, 86 reviews, 229 photos, 9 travelogues
- United States of America Intro, 42 reviews, 167 photos, 8 travelogues
- Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore Intro, 44 reviews, 151 photos, 6 travelogues
- Denver Intro, 32 reviews, 139 photos, 7 travelogues
- Seattle Intro, 16 reviews, 138 photos, 11 travelogues
- Indiana Intro, 26 reviews, 112 photos, 7 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 14 reviews, 113 photos, 8 travelogues
- Cleveland Intro, 36 reviews, 90 photos, 4 travelogues
- Chicago Intro, 31 reviews, 86 photos, 5 travelogues
- Yellowstone National Park Intro, 16 reviews, 93 photos, 9 travelogues