"The Triad" Top 5 Page for this destination Wall Travelogue by Toughluck
Wall Travel Guide: 23 reviews and 58 photos
The Triad was the joint operation of 3 types of nuclear deterrence. Two were Air Force (Missiles and bombers) the third was the Navy's missile submarines.
Minuteman II waiting in the launch silo (Minuteman Missile NHP)
The Polaris missile system has grown from it's original design to a larger and faster missile. While not having the range of the land based ICBM's, the Polaris have the advantage of being carried close to the shores of the target country.
Transport of missiles is a heavy task and the missile boats are designed to do just that. With a reach into the worlds oceans, missile boats can be anywhere. They are constantly on the move, thus hard to target.
Fleets of bombers were stationed around the U.S. and in some foreign countries. Ready at all times.
The B-52 replaced the earlier B-47's (which were few) and operated on 24 hour constant flights. Operating from around the U.S. the Strategic Air Command (SAC) was controlled from Offitt Air force base, south of Omaha, NE. I know of four bases that provided continuous air cover (Lowery - Denver; Ellsworth - Rapid City; Wright-Patterson - Dayton; and Offitt - Omaha). The practice was to have about half of the bombers in the air at all times. Thus any attack on the air bases, would still leave a sizable force flying with plenty of fuel to reach targets in Asia and Europe.
The habit was to launch the replacement plans and then to bring the plans that had been up back down. Thus at the end of any duty shift, all aircraft would be airborne (and spread across the sky's) as the tired and low on fuel planes were beginning their return to base.
Neat idea, but very expensive.
More Travelogues (1)
Toughluck's Related Pages
Wall Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Wall Drug - Follow the signs"
- "Wall-How many miles away are you?"
- "Downtown Wall"
- "Visit the Wall - and the Drug Store"
- "Hitchhiking to Wall Drug"
- "WFTR's new Wall Page"
- "Wall SD"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Wall
- Hotels in Wall
- Transportation in Wall
- Restaurants in Wall
- Shopping in Wall
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Wall
- 2 Reviews
- 25 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (96)
Have you been to Wall?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Wall
Photos in WallSee All Photos (25)
Top 10 Pages
- Valparaiso Intro, 86 reviews, 229 photos, 9 travelogues
- United States of America Intro, 42 reviews, 167 photos, 8 travelogues
- Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore Intro, 44 reviews, 151 photos, 6 travelogues
- Denver Intro, 32 reviews, 139 photos, 7 travelogues
- Seattle Intro, 16 reviews, 138 photos, 11 travelogues
- Indiana Intro, 26 reviews, 112 photos, 7 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 14 reviews, 113 photos, 8 travelogues
- Cleveland Intro, 36 reviews, 90 photos, 4 travelogues
- Chicago Intro, 31 reviews, 86 photos, 5 travelogues
- Yellowstone National Park Intro, 16 reviews, 93 photos, 9 travelogues