"A few more images around the Town of Almonte" Almonte Travelogue by GrumpyDiver
Almonte Travel Guide: 3 reviews and 23 photos
This image shows another view of where the mill and falls are located, looking upstream and east. The river powered a number of textile mills in town. The last remaining one now holds a museum and other buildings on the site have been converted into condominiums.
The powerhouse is still in use and does contribute some electricity to the electric grid. The view here is downstream. Eventually the Mississipi River empties into the Ottawa River at Fitzroy Harbour.
Looking south, upsteram. The Mississipi'a source is Upper Mazinaw Lake, some 200km / 120 miles away. This picture was taken in the late afternoon on a beautiful late-October day.
River front property was always a desirable location. These old stately homes are located well away from where teh industrial areas were.
This is a picture of the historic plaque that describes the history of the town.
An old ad on a historic building.
The old majestic looking building is the old Post Office. The building was sold many years ago with the Post Office now located in the building with the flag. Almonte never had door to door mail delivery, and the people would go to the Post Office to pick up their mail.
As with many of the towns in Eastern Ontario, the railway played a major role in their history. This track was part of the Canadian Pacific Main Line that connected to Northern Ontario (Chapleau) and of course, to Western Canada.
The line was abandoned about a year ago and is being decommissioned.
The Town Hall has fine accoustics and was used as a concert hall for many years. The musicians would stop playing and would wait for the trains to roll by and then resume again when things quietened down. The Canadian Broadcasting Corporation used to have broadcast concerts recorded here.
More Travelogues (1)
GrumpyDiver's Related Pages
Almonte Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Almonte
- 3 Reviews
- 23 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (90)
Have you been to Almonte?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Almonte
Photos in AlmonteSee All Photos (23)
Top 10 Pages
- Ottawa Intro, 26 reviews, 238 photos, 12 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 10 reviews, 104 photos, 7 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 5 reviews, 87 photos, 10 travelogues
- Namibia Intro, 18 reviews, 73 photos, 5 travelogues
- Tibet Intro, 2 reviews, 69 photos, 8 travelogues
- Iceland Intro, 4 reviews, 57 photos, 6 travelogues
- Toronto Intro, 7 reviews, 51 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bhutan Intro, 19 reviews, 35 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prince Rupert Intro, 3 reviews, 51 photos, 5 travelogues
- Picton Intro, 9 reviews, 41 photos, 1 travelogue