"Weekend in the 'Big Apple'" New York City Travelogue by mickeyboy07
New York City Travel Guide: 16,012 reviews and 32,501 photos
Its been a long time since my visit to New York City but im finally writing about it(what i can remember anyway).My friend Sarah and myself decided to go for three nights and three days from Friday till Monday in mid november.The weather wasnt great,a bit chilly but at least it didnt rain.We stayed at a hotel in the Chelsea district on the west side of Manhattan about fifteen mins walk from the Empire state building.
Arriving late friday afternoon it was already dusk by the time we had arrived at the hotel,we had a walk around the area,popped into a bar for a quick drink then headed to Times Square which was brilliantly lit up with its neon advertisements and street lights,a site to behold.
On the saturday we went up the Empire state building to catch breathtaking views of the city,it was a clear part sunny day and we could see for miles around us,being at the top of this building and looking around gave you a glimpse of how big this city actually is,a never ending urban spawl.after grabbing a quick pizza in a local deli we headed to Macy's,the world famous department store.Frankly i dont know what all the fuss is about its just a department store after all,only very expensive.After this we did a bit of shopping then went down to the harbour on the east river to get more great views and take pictures.Saturday night was a meal at a great Chinese restaurant followed by drinks in an Irish Bar.Typical N.Y.
We got up early on Sunday morning to avoid the the crowds waiting to go to Liberty and Ellis islands.We decided to walk to Battery park-about a half hour's journey to catch the ferry.We passed through the delightful and rather quieter district of Greenwich Village with its small apartment blocks and chic cafe's.At the ferry terminal at Battery park we didnt wait long for the first ferry to take us passed the Statue of Liberty and then on to Ellis island to visit the Immigrants museum.After returning to Manhattan we caught the underground up to Central park to enjoy its scenic splendor surrounded by the noisy city,and watched people skate on the ice rink.Sunday night was an indian meal in the East side district.
Monday was our leaving day so off to Times square again for a few souveniers and gifts,then lunch in a local deli then back to the hotel to pack.Our cab ride back to the airport was slow due to heavy traffic but at least it prolonged our visit.It was an amazing expierience to finally see the city ive always wanted to see and i hope to return here again soon one day.
mickeyboy07's Related Pages
New York City Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A NYC GYPSY AT HEART"
- "NYC: Everyday, Something new."
- "I Heart New York."
- ""I want to be a part of it ...""
- ". : New York City : ."
- "New York City"
- "Oh, how I want to be a part of it!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in New York City
- Hotels in New York City
- Transportation in New York City
- Nightlife in New York City
- Restaurants in New York City
- Shopping in New York City
- Warnings and Dangers in New York City
- See All...
Badges & Stats in New York City
- 6 Reviews
- 19 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (28)
Have you been to New York City?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in New York City
- updated a New York City Travel Page "New York weekend"
- Posted in Travel Orhaniye Forum "Re: Transfer to Orhaniye"
- Commented on one of Irena_Romeva's New York City travel pages
- Wrote a Review Ellis Island about Statue of Liberty - Ellis Island in New York City Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Ellis Island"
Top 10 Pages
- Amsterdam Intro, 45 reviews, 186 photos, 2 travelogues
- Copenhagen Intro, 40 reviews, 151 photos, 1 travelogue
- Antwerp Intro, 38 reviews, 151 photos, 1 travelogue
- Manchester Intro, 27 reviews, 141 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Corfu Island Intro, 24 reviews, 100 photos, 1 travelogue
- Edinburgh Intro, 23 reviews, 97 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chester Intro, 21 reviews, 97 photos, 1 travelogue
- Oxford Intro, 21 reviews, 89 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Leeds Intro, 17 reviews, 83 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bugibba Intro, 17 reviews, 60 photos