"House Names" Prague Travelogue by GentleSpirit
Prague Travel Guide: 11,860 reviews and 24,997 photos
It wasn't until 1770 that Prague started using street numbers. Before that a house had an image over the doorway or the house itself. This image might show what the house was used for, who it was owned by.
You can still see these in Prague today. Here are a few that I saw. Some are most likely not original, but they caught my eye just the same
Many of the houses you will see with house names on them were at one time owned by guilds or were the home (or workshop) of a craftsman/artist.
For example, a shoemaker might have displayed the one above, a wine merchant, tavern owner, wine maker...might have displayed the one below.
The house at the golden snake. Some of these houses were once the homes of famous or important people. Many of the original meanings were connected to the world of alchemy, though much of that has been lost. One place in Prague where there is an especially high concentration of house signs in Nerudova Street.
More Travelogues (1)
- See All Statue of St George slaying the dragon
- See All Atheism
- See All Czech food
- See All To/from Prague on the train
- See All House of the Black Madonna
GentleSpirit's Related Pages
Prague Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "What a great and romantic place !"
- "The beautiful town of Prague"
- "WOW! WHAT A WONDERFUL CITY!"
- "Praha is amazing!"
- "Peramble Around Prague"
- "prague czech republic"
- "PRAHA - PRAGUE"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Prague
- Hotels in Prague
- Transportation in Prague
- Nightlife in Prague
- Restaurants in Prague
- Shopping in Prague
- Warnings and Dangers in Prague
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Prague
- 46 Reviews
- 63 Photos
- 5 Forum posts
- 13 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (34)
Have you been to Prague?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Prague
- updated a Prague Travel Page "Prague- City of a Hundred Spires"
- Posted in Travel Carcassonne Forum "Re: seeing the Cathar castles"
- Commented on one of GentleSpirit's Prague tips
- Wrote a Review Statue of St George slaying the dragon about St. Vitus' Cathedral in Prague Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "St George's Basilica in Prague Castle"
Photos in PragueSee All Photos (63)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Washington D.C. Intro, 93 reviews, 210 photos, 4 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 73 reviews, 133 photos, 1 travelogue
- Prague Intro, 46 reviews, 63 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Córdoba Intro, 45 reviews, 59 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arlington Intro, 35 reviews, 65 photos
- Krakow Intro, 35 reviews, 57 photos, 2 travelogues
- Budapest Intro, 28 reviews, 49 photos, 2 travelogues
- Buenos Aires Intro, 34 reviews, 38 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Toulouse Intro, 23 reviews, 43 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Olomouc Intro, 30 reviews, 32 photos