"Fun with LOT ? Polish Airlines" Warsaw Travelogue by Airpunk

Warsaw Travel Guide: 3,059 reviews and 7,498 photos

I don't want to say that LOT is a bad airline, but somehow almost every flight I had with them was involved in some trouble. I booked six legs with LOT altogether, but only two of them arrived at their place of destination on time or at all. Here, there is my short chronology of flights with LOT

1.) June 21st 2010 / Hamburg ? Warsaw

I booked four flights with LOT to attend the wedding of a good friend in Wroclaw. My route was Hamburg-Warsaw-Wroclaw and back on the same way. Unfortunately, my aircraft was experiencing some technical problem during engine start-up. That meant that we all had to disembark the aircraft and rebook our flight. Fortunately, the company handling the flight was the one I worked for at that time. Therefore, I got a quick connection with Lufthansa via Munich instead of having to wait for the next LOT flight to Warsaw.

2.) June 21st 2010 / Warsaw - Wroclaw

As the first flight to Warsaw was cancelled, I never knew of the second flight had any problems. Instead I was on a Munich- Wroclaw flight and arrived in Wroclaw with a delay of around six hours. If I had not booked my flight in anticipation a day earlier, I would have missed the wedding.

3.) June 23rd 2010 / Wroclaw ? Warsaw

Back from the wedding, I arrived at the airport around half past six in the morning. I never expected that I would made it that early to airport as the wedding was in the middle of nowhere (Krobielowice). That was the reason why I booked LOT instead of Ryanair. First I had breakfast at the airport and waved Ryanair goodbye, than I waited until noon until my flight to Warsaw was ready for departure. At least, it was on time and we had no trouble at all ? congratulations!

4.) June 23rd, 2010 / Warsaw ? Hamburg

The aircraft which was supposed to bring me from Warsaw back to Hamburg was grounded for technical reason. It was a small jet which has a flight time of around 1h20 to Hamburg. The only replacement aircraft the found was a turboprop aircraft which is mostly used for domestic flights. It had a flight time of more than two hours and took some time to be ready. At least, they found a working replacement aircraft ? but I arrived in Hamburg with more than three hours of delay.

5.) December 10th 2010 / Hamburg ? Warsaw

Via my company, I got some standby tickets for a LOT flight to Warsaw, so I went with a friend on a weekend trip. This flight was more or less on time ? congratulations!

6.) December 13th 2010 / Warsaw ? Hamburg

Guess what? This flight was cancelled! For technical reasons, what a surprise! We were rebooked on a LOT flight from Warsaw to Düsseldorf and then from there onwards to Hamburg with Lufthansa. I was used to having some funny experiences with LOT, and used the time in Düsseldorf to get some food. But when I was in the queue for a pizza, I saw that Düsseldorf-Hamburg just got cancelled. Lufthansa, friendly as they are, told us that our ticket had zero value for them. The lady at the ticket counter tried to rebook us on an Air Berlin flight to Hamburg, but her boss said that this was a no-go for the reason above. That meant that we would have to chose between a night in a hotel and a flight on the next day or a train ticket to Hamburg. We both had to work on the following day, so the train was the better option. That one didn't run on time, but that's normal with Deutsche Bahn. On the train, we emptied a bottle of Chardonnay. The next flight to Poland will be Ryanair again....

• Page Updated May 9, 2016

“When I have money, I spend it for travelling. If I still have some, I spend it for food and clothing...”

Badges & Stats in Warsaw