"Breakfast at Tiffany's." Personal Page by swissfondue

I'm not Swiss. My mother just liked the name Heidi, and as a child she would always be reminding me to have breakfast. "Breakfast is the most important meal of the day. "If you eat breakfast you will have the energy to climb a mountain!!!" HEIDI... MOUNTAINS... see a pattern emerging!

When I was young I tried not to agree with my mother too much but I have to agree that breakfast is the meal of champions and no more so than when one is travelling. I cant really explain why I need to wake up in a different city or even country with an overwhelming desire to sample the cuisine. Maybe I think if I like the breakfast, I will like the place I am in...

Be it a good old English fry up (hold the kippers and if in Scotland the Haggis)) an American Diner breakfast where the pancake on your plate is so large it could eclipse the sun (slight exaggeration) or Asian soup and dumplings (yum and also cha) eating like a local makes you feel like one. Doesnt it???

So, even if you dont normally kick start your day with an espresso so strong the spoon feels like it is suspended in quick drying cement. when in Rome ... and Paris and really most of Europe, and certainly in Milan where they make the strongest coffee EVER its the local thing to do. Drink it standing up of course so gravity can take hold.

So, when in Holland enjoy ham and gouda or edam on bread.

When in France ... just enjoy a chocolate filled croissant. No explanation needed.

When in England, sort of enjoy just anything for breakfast really as long as its fried! Bangers, eggs, bacon, mushrooms, tomatoes, baked beans, the kippers, the haggis, the black pudding, and add a potential tummy ache all day because you just could not digest that combination of flavors.

When in the US, some of the above minus the kippers, haggis and black pudding, but add hash browns, waffles, maple syrup, pancakes and another potential tummy ache all day because you simply just ATE TOO MUCH!!

When in Hong Kong enjoy miso soup, steamed dumplings, turnip cake, rice and noodles. What can I say... Hong Kong is just fabulous and so is their food.

And when one cruises on enormous ships, you can potentially eat all of the above and much, much, much, much more.. Who on earth invented the idea of buffets!!!!!

So with my mothers wisdom as my guide I always start each day with a decent breakfast.... I'm just not sure which country I will be eating it in, and that is...... THE FUN PART !!!

• Page Updated Aug 12, 2013

More Personal Pages (1)

Comments

Share your travels with the world!

Join Now!

swissfondue

“Climb every mountain... or just walk up one little hill. With every step you take you are seeing the world around you!”

Real Name