"Weekend travel in London- expect delays." London Travelogue by uglyscot

London Travel Guide: 25,628 reviews and 58,527 photos

Never on a Saturday/ Sunday

A visit to London took me into areas I was not very familiar with : Wandsworth, Barnes ,and Kilburn. But it was getting there that was the difficulty.
I arrived at Paddington Station to find that the District line was not available. I was heading to Putney which is on that line. Instead I had to take the Metropolitan line to Piccadilly Circus, and change to the Piccadilly line.I got off at Earl's Court and waited for a District line train to Fulham Broadway which was as far as it was going ,as work on the line closed the rest of the route. At Fulham there were many Chelsea football fans alighting too. I was met by my friend and we went to Putney.
In the evening we were going to a party in Kilburn. It took us almost two hours as we were caught up in traffic through Hammersmith .
The following day we drove through Barnes and this time took the Hammersmith bridge, which avoided the jams in Hammersmith, so that I could reach Paddington station again . This time my train to Cardiff was delayed because only three rail tracks were in use- because of work on the line, what else!- and we had to wait until there was a space for us.

My advice is to avoid travel to London at the weekend, and be careful where you plan to go on the Underground as there are usually disruptions due to ongoing work. Or use the bus.

• Page Updated May 9, 2016

Comments

uglyscot

“Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought”

Badges & Stats in London