"Sea kayaking near Gustavus, Alaska" Alaska Travelogue by 6mirror
Alaska Travel Guide: 6,805 reviews and 14,462 photos
Captain Doug off loaded us and our gear after taking us across Icy Strait in his homemade fishing boat from Gustavus AK to Point Adolphus.
Kaitlyn was a skilled and very personable guide, knowledgeable of marine life, local history, geography, a fount of information and personal anecdotes, as she led us along the coastline of this island in search of migrating humpback whales further offshore. We also saw bald eagles in shoreline trees and on the rocky beaches and a variety of sea birds.
We were in a tandem sea kayak paddling behind Kaitlyn in her single kayak. At one point we became surrounded by Stellar sea lions who are huge! Much bigger than the California sea lions that we've seen nearer to home. One of these guys, the bigger one, became somewhat aggressive and we had to skeddaddle quick!
During this all day trip, we paddled along the shoreline searching for signs of whales migrating. We managed to see at least 2 pods passing by at some distance but still visible even in the rain, and it did rain throughout the day with brief clearings.
In our tandem sea kayak.
Captain Doug picked us up at the end of the day during a heavy storm. The storm and wind whipped up tall swells with whitecaps. His sturdy little homemade boat surged along on an exhilarating E ride!
Later, we learned from Aimee, our B&B host who arranged this trip for us, that the townsfolk doubted whether California ladies were even going to follow through with the kayaking plans on such a stormy day, and were impressed at the spunk we showed when we did!
More Travelogues (1)
6mirror's Related Pages
Alaska Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Land of the Midnight Sun"
- "Alaska--my home for now (again)"
- "Alaska, up north and far away"
- "Train Ride Through Alaska's Interior"
- "The Last Great Frontier"
- "Alaska, land of beauty"
- "Alaska, America's Crown Jewel"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Alaska
- Hotels in Alaska
- Transportation in Alaska
- Nightlife in Alaska
- Restaurants in Alaska
- Shopping in Alaska
- Warnings and Dangers in Alaska
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Alaska
- 1 Reviews
- 24 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (1)
Have you been to Alaska?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Alaska
Top 10 Pages
- Valladolid Intro, 27 photos, 3 travelogues
- Alaska Intro, 1 review, 24 photos, 2 travelogues
- Italy Intro, 19 photos, 2 travelogues
- Kilconquhar Intro, 1 review, 16 photos, 1 travelogue
- Massachusetts Intro, 11 photos, 1 travelogue
- Poipu Intro, 11 photos, 1 travelogue
- Chichén-Itzá Intro, 11 photos, 2 travelogues
- Jedburgh Intro, 11 photos, 1 travelogue
- France Intro, 3 photos
- Germany Intro, 3 photos