"Around Gustavus, Alaska" Alaska Travelogue by 6mirror
Alaska Travel Guide: 7,088 reviews and 15,592 photos
Gustavus is so remote that few cars existed. The only way to reach this town was by boat or plane.
Most of the townsfolk got around town by bike or on foot (or snowshoes in winter). Aimee's Guest House furnished bicycles, Wellingtons, and canoes to guests.
Down the road from Aimee's, picturesque sights such as this lie around every bend in this town.
Along the side of the cafe, bikes were stacked and leaning against each other, while the locals enjoyed pizza and brews and lively conversation. The small town was rather spread out along ribbons of road carved out of the dense rainforest.
Couldn't resist a photo op with Sarah!
Colorful decor inside and out, in this popular establishment, with equally colorful business owners.
This is where we were invited by Aimee, to join the locals at a wake the evening after we arrived for the passing of Ted Kennedy.
Most of these liberal locals are actually former hippies mostly from California. Several gathered at a hastily arranged wake at the Gustavus Inn. We helped place lit candles inside Mason jars along the driveway.
Some truly mourned the passing of Ted. One wrote and recited a poem, another added a verse to Abraham, Martin, and John (and now Teddy) and we all sang along. Then the wine and champagne flowed, on the house!
(Aimee, our terrific host and proprietor of Aimee's Guest House, is on the right.)
This small harbor saw fishing boat activity, mainly for tourists, but from here we were taken across Icy Strait to the nearest island for a private whale watching tour by kayak.
At the time, the town was building a ferry stop for the Alaska State Ferry that was due to be in operation by the next year (2010).
More Travelogues (1)
6mirror's Related Pages
Alaska Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Land of the Midnight Sun"
- "Alaska--my home for now (again)"
- "Alaska, up north and far away"
- "Train Ride Through Alaska's Interior"
- "The Last Great Frontier"
- "Alaska, America's Crown Jewel"
- "Alaska, land of beauty"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Alaska
- Hotels in Alaska
- Transportation in Alaska
- Nightlife in Alaska
- Restaurants in Alaska
- Shopping in Alaska
- Warnings and Dangers in Alaska
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Alaska
- 1 Reviews
- 24 Photos
- 5 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (1)
Have you been to Alaska?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Alaska
Top 10 Pages
- Valladolid Intro, 27 photos, 3 travelogues
- Alaska Intro, 1 review, 24 photos, 2 travelogues
- Italy Intro, 19 photos, 2 travelogues
- South Carolina Intro, 19 photos, 5 travelogues
- Kilconquhar Intro, 1 review, 16 photos, 1 travelogue
- Massachusetts Intro, 11 photos, 1 travelogue
- Poipu Intro, 11 photos, 1 travelogue
- Chichén-Itzá Intro, 11 photos, 2 travelogues
- Jedburgh Intro, 11 photos, 1 travelogue
- Germany Intro, 3 photos