"Northallerton Town Trail" Northallerton Travelogue by spidermiss
Northallerton Travel Guide: 41 reviews and 80 photos
Northallerton doesn't have the tourist attractions that is on the par with, I say, York but the town has a unique history which made the town is today. On the trail there is a number of buildings which has an interesting historical account about who and how they shaped Northallerton.
I'd downloaded the town trail from Visit Northallerton website
The town trail's highlghts are as follows:
This Tudor designed building was built in 1584. Charles I was once a guest and prisoner at this place in 1640 and 1647 respectively. Today, it's a guest house.
Rutson Hospital was built on a site that belonged to Carmelite Friary and known as the Cottage Hospital which opened in 1877. It was renamed as Rutson Hospital in 1905 after Mr Henry Rutson of Newby Wiske and who was a local benefactor.
The Fleece is claimed to be the oldest house in the town and built on site which once belonged to a former Friary. Charles Dickens stayed in this house during his visit to the town during the mid 19th Century. Today, it's a popular busy pub.
This ancient market cross occupies the main town square opposite the town hall since 1987 after being relocated.
The hotel was a coaching inn/stables for horses who travelled through the town and received a number of important visitors including the Duke of Connaught in 1876.
Look out for the golden lion that is perched on top of the hotel's entrance porch.
This surviving property is renowned for its cruck arch attached to the south wall.
spidermiss' Related Pages
Northallerton Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "County town of North Yorkshire"
- "Northallerton - My hometown"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Northallerton
- Hotels in Northallerton
- Transportation in Northallerton
- Restaurants in Northallerton
- Shopping in Northallerton
- Warnings and Dangers in Northallerton
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Northallerton
- 9 Reviews
- 39 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (49)
Have you been to Northallerton?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Northallerton
Photos in NorthallertonSee All Photos (39)
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 193 reviews, 800 photos, 19 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Leeds Intro, 150 reviews, 774 photos, 36 travelogues
- York Intro, 76 reviews, 294 photos, 5 travelogues
- Manchester Intro, 51 reviews, 262 photos, 10 travelogues
- Liverpool Intro, 33 reviews, 143 photos, 3 travelogues
- Buenos Aires Intro, 44 reviews, 112 photos
- Cardiff Intro, 34 reviews, 116 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sheffield Intro, 26 reviews, 116 photos, 2 travelogues
- Bath Intro, 31 reviews, 109 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Plymouth Intro, 31 reviews, 106 photos, 2 travelogues