"Kelimutu revisited" Ende Travelogue by theo1006
Ende Travel Guide: 36 reviews and 130 photos
Access to Kelimutu was not always as easy as it is now. When Theo first visited, the Trans Flores Highway from Ende to Maumere was not even surfaced yet. And the road uphill from Moni was quite overgrown.
In December 1971 Theo spent a vacation in Ende with the family of a student. Posing in the pic with the Willys jeep is a sister of the student.
Nowadays a smooth surfaced road leads from Moni to the nature reserve. Halfway on the road is this porch with a booth where to pay the entrance fee. Posing here is Helen.
For those who doubt that the lakes can change colour, this scan of a slide shows Ata Polo lake in 1971, when its colour was dark red. So dark that in the picture it shows up as black. Indonesians would call it 'merah hati', i.e. liver red.
And here is the same lake in 2011, coloured dark green.
Less evident change in the second lake, it was green and still is green.
The third lake, that looks like a sink hole, is the most stable. We never understood why it is called the white lake. In 1971 as in 2011 it looked almost black to us.
What changed: there is more vegetation now.
More Travelogues (1)
theo1006's Related Pages
Ende Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Ende revisited"
- "d'capital city of flores"
- "Ende, Flores"
- "ENDE-FLORES...NiCE and BEauTy"
- "Ende, Flores, Indonesia"
- "Ende, flores, NTT"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ende
- Hotels in Ende
- Transportation in Ende
- Restaurants in Ende
- Shopping in Ende
- See All...
Explore the World
- Oak Bluffs Hotels
- Tanglin Halt Hotels
- Talimena State Park
- State of Tasmania
- Brussels Hotels
- Breitenbush Hot Springs Hotels
- Matawhero Hotels
- Rabbit Hash
- Culion Island
- Estate Thomas Hotels
- Meriwether Lewis National Monument
Badges & Stats in Ende
- 16 Reviews
- 75 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (35)
Have you been to Ende?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ende
Photos in EndeSee All Photos (75)
Top 10 Pages
- Salatiga Intro, 55 reviews, 290 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prambanan Intro, 34 reviews, 181 photos, 4 travelogues
- Blitar Intro, 22 reviews, 149 photos, 4 travelogues
- Soe Intro, 34 reviews, 136 photos, 2 travelogues
- Bima Intro, 23 reviews, 139 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kupang Intro, 32 reviews, 124 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yogyakarta Special Region Intro, 22 reviews, 131 photos, 3 travelogues
- Bali Intro, 22 reviews, 124 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination East Timor Intro, 30 reviews, 116 photos
- Costa Rica Intro, 25 reviews, 116 photos, 1 travelogue