"Scenic Fall Foliage Train Ride" Cass Scenic Railroad State Park Travelogue by jmpncsu

Train Ride to Bald Knob

We caught the 12 o'clock train up to Bald Knob. After going through two switchbacks, the train stopped at Whittaker Station for a short break then headed back up the mountain. We stopped at Bald Knob for about a half hour and took in the scenic views of the surrounding mountains, then the train headed back down. It was a very enjoyable train ride with wonderful views. The weather was fantastic and I think we had the perfect weekend for this trip. My only complaint about the train ride is the coal smoke. The steam engines are originals from when Cass was a mill town, and the coal-powered engines produced a lot of smoke. The engine pushes the train uphill, so the smoke was downwind of the train going up, but the opposite going down, so there was a lot of smoke and embers, particularly on the way down. My eyes are still a little red and I've been coughing up ash since I've been back. If I rode the train again, I think I would try to get a seat in the last car, furthest away from the engines.

• Page Updated May 9, 2016

“Maybe we'll shine forever”

Badges & Stats in Cass Scenic Railroad State Park

Have you been to Cass Scenic Railroad State Park?