"Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam September 2011" Personal Page by clymanotis

Opera House

Opera House downtown HCMC (Saigon) Sept 18, 2011

This is Dieu (Yoo)and me with our own birthday cakes. Dieu works at The Ky (The Cave billiard parlor) and her birthday is the same day as my oldest son. My birthday was a week later and we decided to celebrate together since I wouldn't be in town for mine. Dieu turned 26 and mine was a lot more.

Billiard Parlor Employees

I was in HCMC for two weeks and visited The Ky every evening. I got to know the girls there very well and we became fast friends. Here I am with Tham and Thi (Cham and Tee)

American Embassy HCMC

Here's the American Embassy in downtown Saigon. This is not the same one as shown in all the newsreels from 1972.

Ben Thanh Market

The Ben Thanh Market has been in this one spot forever. It's a veritable warren of stalls and vendors. Very crowded and noisy, but very exciting and fascinating. A must see. At night, some of the vendors move outside to the blocked streets for a nighttime street market.

Post Office HCMC

The main post office downtown. Souvenir vendors in the lobby and Vietnamese arts and crafts in the corridors inside on each side of the entrance.

VinCom Center

The VinCom Center is a modern multilevel shopping center downtown. Five levels of shops with well known brands. Lots of restaurants, including Popeye's Chicken, Carl's Jr Burgers, and a Highlands coffe shop. Highllands is a local chain with locations all over the city. Great food at reasonable prices. The Center has many local bakeries and ice cream shops. Coffee Shops/Bakeries are a common sight all over the city. Each one serves good food and great coffee.

Tax Building

Not sure how it got its name, but everyone knows it as the Tax Bldg. A three-level department store with varied vendors inside. A well-stocked supermarket on the second floor. Cheap DVDs, expensive watches, all in one place!

• Page Written Oct 11, 2011

Share your travels with the world!

Join Now!

“See it all!”

This member has not been ranked.
No VT rank yet.