"Aboriginal mythology,Dreamtime." Top 5 Page for this destination Cairns Travelogue by tropicrd
Cairns Travel Guide: 896 reviews and 2,397 photos
Effie Serico (given name Roslyn) wrote this story and she has given me permission to share it with you and her art work.so I hope you enjoy it as much as I did. Oct 2011
In the Dreamtime,there was a tribe of ducks that lived alongside a creek.
Each day they would roam by the creek embankment looking for food,they were always told by ther Elders that they must stay close to each other and not wander off on their own because Mulloka the water rat lived beside the creek and he was dangerous,and if he caught them he would eat them--so the ducks always stayed together.
One day while all the ducks were feeding,one little duck was so busy hunting insects in the long grass when she raised her head she realised she had not paid attention about wandering off to far on her own.
She also noticed that everything was very quite,then the little duck also heard a strange growling and became scared.
Just as she was about to start running back to her tribe,Mullocka the water-rat rushed out from behind a bush and grabbed hold of the little duck.
The little duck wriggled and kicked and screeched out loudly as Mullocka
dragged her back to his home which was in a cave by the creek bank.
The little duck became so scared because she was thinking that Mulloka was going to eat her.Instead ,he tied her up so she would'nt run away because he was lonely and wanted the little duck to be his friend.
Mulloka would go out hunting every day while the little duck stayed in his cave,and he would always bring food back for her.
Although the little duck was sad because she wanted to live with her own tribe,she pretended to like living with Mullocka,and after awhile Mullocka started to believe the little duck was happy to live with him.
Then one day,while Mullocka was away hunting,the little duck quickly ran all the way back to her own tribe.When she saw them she started screeching and telling them all about Mullocka.
The other ducks were so shocked to see she was still alive,and they were so happy that she was back safe with them.
Soon all the ducks started building their nests in the long grasses by the creek to lay their eggs.The other ducks laid about ten eggs,but the little duck laid only two eggs,but she was still happy because she was soon going to have her own family.
When all the baby ducklings started hatching,the two eggs belonging to the little duck had finally hatched too,but when the little duck saw them she screeched out because they were strange creatures and not like the other ducks.
They looked like ducks with bills and webbed feet,but instead of having fluffy feathers they had a coat of fur.As well,instead of having two feet they had four.The little duck realised that these babies looked like a mixture of Mulloka and herself,but it didn't matter she was still happy to have them.
She took them out in the water toward all the other ducks and they started to screech loudly at the sight of these little creatures.They were saying "They are ugly creatures" "Kill them""Don't bring them anywhere near our babies"
and the poor little duck became very sad.She couldn't kill them they were her babies.
She realised that her babies were in danger if she stayed with her tribe,so she decided to leave and live somewhere else.The little duck knew she couldn't go downstream because Mullocka would kill them all,so she decided to go as far away upstream where they could be safe.
The strange little creatures that belonged to the little duck and Mullocka grew up strong in the new place they were living.
These Gari Dari's were happy because they had each other,but the little duck still pined for her people and finally died from being so lonely.
- See All Mango Madness
- See All Cairns newest Tropical & Romantic...
- See All Good coffee at the club
- See All Stop for fresh fruit and vegies.
- See All Don't get stuck in the mud.
- See All Drive on a dusty country road
- See All Working holidays in Cairns
- See All qconnect--new bus timetables
- Galleries have control of Indigenous...
- See All "Your shout mate"
- Pandamonium Live Bands
- See All Fishing list and tips for Families.
- See All Sport at Cazaly's,Cairns
Been to Cairns?Share your travels with the world!
tropicrd's Related Pages
Cairns Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Cairns QLD more than a tourist city."
- "CAIRNS (PAGES UNDER CONSTRUCTION)"
- "Cairns - A Land of Contrast"
- "Cairns - gateway to Far North Queensland"
- "IMPREXXION: CAIRNS"
- "Tropical North Queensland's landing strip...Cairns"
- "Cairns in the Far North"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Cairns
- Hotels in Cairns
- Transportation in Cairns
- Nightlife in Cairns
- Restaurants in Cairns
- Shopping in Cairns
- Warnings and Dangers in Cairns
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Cairns
- 132 Reviews
- 509 Photos
- 84 Forum posts
- 40 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (19)
Have you been to Cairns?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Cairns
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: WHAT DO YOU EAT FoR BREAKFAST?"
- updated a Cairns Travelogue "The changing slopes around Cairns"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Alcohol free Cairns Esplanade"
- Commented on one of aussirose's Cairns travelogues
- Wrote a Review Mango Madness in Cairns Things to Do
- Uploaded a Video to Cairns
- Commented on the Cairns travel guide
Photos in CairnsSee All Photos (509)
Videos in CairnsSee All Videos (13)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cairns Intro, 132 reviews, 501 photos, 4 travelogues
- State of Western Australia Intro, 13 reviews, 66 photos, 1 travelogue
- State of Tasmania Intro, 10 reviews, 53 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Albany Intro, 8 reviews, 44 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cape Tribulation Intro, 8 reviews, 44 photos, 3 travelogues
- Brisbane Intro, 9 reviews, 39 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Maryborough Intro, 10 reviews, 38 photos
- Mareeba Intro, 9 reviews, 36 photos
- Australia Intro, 7 reviews, 22 photos, 2 travelogues
- State of Queensland Intro, 6 reviews, 22 photos, 1 travelogue