"Hiking on Koli mountain range --- part 1" Eno Travelogue by gubbi1
Eno Travel Guide: 0 reviews and 27 photos
Billion years ago the Koli mountain range was lifted due to tectonic movements of the earths surface. Two plates were moving towards eachother and folded up these mountains.
Nowadays the peaks of Koli are the highest mountains of southern Finland (347 metres above sea level and 253 metres above Lake Pielinen). It sounds not much for someone from a more mountainous are, but with the flat surroundings the view is stunning! And on top the nature is fantastic. So lets follow the hiking path on the oldest bedrocks of Finland...
From the parking you can take this cable-car to get up to the top of Koli. I guess it was built for the tourists who stay in the Sokos Hotel, which was built up there. I took the stairs which follow the track of the cable-car. It is more or less the only 'strenous' part of the hike.
Once we reach the Sokos Hotel we can go inside the tourist office on the opposite site of the hotel. Here you can get a map and information on the park. Beside the office stairs bring you away from this (in my opinion) ugly place into the beautiful nature. We will now follow a well prepared trail like on the photo.
Very soon the first views 'undisturbed' by trees come up. It is as beautiful as I was hoping how it should be.
On the trail there are many huge rocks that you will have to pass or climb over. These rocks also are you platform for the views over the beautiful landscape.
The trail is well marked, even though there are plenty of possible tracks.
On top of one of the peaks of Koli National Park. Amazing that I have been on the other side of this lake in the morning.
I guess having a boat and looking up the Koli mountain chain from down there would also be a great thing.
More Travelogues (2)
Written May 9, 2016
Hiking on Koli mountain range --- part 2
Written May 9, 2016
Hiking on Koli mountain range --- part 3
gubbi1's Related Pages
Eno Travel Guide
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Eno
- 0 Reviews
- 27 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (55)
Have you been to Eno?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Eno
Photos in EnoSee All Photos (27)
Top 10 Pages
- Vienna Intro, 40 reviews, 231 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oulu Intro, 55 reviews, 134 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lillehammer Intro, 8 reviews, 164 photos, 17 travelogues
- Nazareth Intro, 16 reviews, 124 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Akko Intro, 11 reviews, 122 photos, 10 travelogues
- Évora Intro, 13 reviews, 116 photos, 9 travelogues
- Røros Intro, 10 reviews, 107 photos, 9 travelogues
- Bet Guvrin Intro, 18 reviews, 89 photos
- Bet She`arim Intro, 11 reviews, 90 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tomar Intro, 12 reviews, 86 photos, 5 travelogues