""Gründerzeit" Architecture" Top 5 Page for this destination Chemnitz Travelogue by Kathrin_E
Chemnitz Travel Guide: 138 reviews and 628 photos
The age of industrialization is knwon as "Gründerzeit" ("Founders' Era"). Large quarters from those times, the end of the 19th and beginning of the 20th century, have survived the war. Schlosschemnitz, for example, is such a quarter: on the left, houses in Ludwigstraße.
Eclectic historism was en vogue in those times. All styles of the past were happily used and mixed. The house in the big photo may qualify as neo-Renaissance.
Petrikirche in Theaterplatz, built in 1888, an example of the typical neogothic church architecture.
Barbarossastraße, the main street of the Kassberg quarter. This area was covered with buildings a decade or two later. Here, art nouveau is already the dominating style, although there is still some Gründerzeit historism.
Kathrin_E's Related Pages
Chemnitz Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Chemnitz - A City in Transition"
- "Chemnitz - City of Modernism"
- "Chemnitz - Karl-Marx-Stadt - Chemnitz"
- "Chemnitz formerly known as Karl Marx Stadt :)"
- "Karl-Marx-Stadt --> Chemnitz"
- "Chemnitz, Saxony - Germany"
- "Bonios lunch stop in Chemnitz"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Chemnitz
- Hotels in Chemnitz
- Transportation in Chemnitz
- Nightlife in Chemnitz
- Restaurants in Chemnitz
- Shopping in Chemnitz
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Chemnitz
- 23 Reviews
- 178 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (137)
Have you been to Chemnitz?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Chemnitz
- Posted in Travel Xanten Forum "Re: what to do"
- updated a Chemnitz Travel Page "Chemnitz - Karl-Marx-Stadt - Chemnitz"
- Commented on one of german_eagle's Chemnitz travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "The Sparkling Post-Modern City Centre"
- Wrote a Review Industriemuseum: Textile Passage about Chemnitz Industrial Museum in Chemnitz Things to Do
Photos in ChemnitzSee All Photos (178)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wroclaw Intro, 100 reviews, 526 photos, 13 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Karlsruhe Intro, 120 reviews, 432 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marburg an der Lahn Intro, 79 reviews, 303 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cuxhaven Intro, 48 reviews, 250 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Münster Intro, 46 reviews, 246 photos, 10 travelogues
- Krakow Intro, 18 reviews, 273 photos, 25 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Konstanz Intro, 47 reviews, 240 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dresden Intro, 46 reviews, 223 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Essen Intro, 43 reviews, 219 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Schwetzingen Intro, 39 reviews, 214 photos, 10 travelogues