"Me and My Family" Personal Page by iblatt

Introducing Myself

My name is Ilan (which means "tree" in Hebrew). I live in Raanana, a nice town in the Sharon valley on the coastal plain of Israel.

I was born in Israel. My parents were born in Europe, and immigrated to Israel in the 1930s (my father from Germany, my mother from Lithuania), and so they personally were spared the horrors of World War II, unlike many members of their families who perished in the Holocaust.
I spent the first part of my childhood in Jerusalem, and later grew up in Tel-Aviv. After graduating from high school I did my 3 years of army service, like most everyone in my country.

I studied medicine in the Tel-Aviv University Sackler School of Medicine, did my residency in neurology in Tel-Aviv, and then a 2-year fellowship in epilepsy and EEG in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. I am working as a neurologist and epileptolgist in the Sheba Medical Center in Tel-Hashomer, near Tel-Aviv. I like my work and it keeps me busy, not leaving me too much spare time... The photo shows me (second from right) with colleagues in the video-EEG monitoring unit in my hospital.

Read more: http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/d29d6/#ixzz1aDpIVoQ9

My Family

I am happily married to Phillipa, who came to Israel from Ireland, and through her I developed some Irish roots as well, or maybe I'd better say that I grew some shamrock leaves around my Israeli sabra (=cactus) core.

Our two charming daughters, Ofrah and Sharon, are grown up now. Ofrah is doing her MSc in chemistry in Jerusalem, and Sharon has started her undergraduate studies in communications in Tel-Aviv.

My family is the most important thing to me. I come from a small family (many perished in the Holocaust), and I am an only son. I think this has made me appreciate the significance of having a family, spending quality time with my immediate family, and trying to trace my roots, get to know and keep in touch with the more distant relatives in different parts of the world.

• Page Updated Oct 8, 2011

Share your travels with the world!

Join Now!

“There is no such thing as an uninteresting destination”

Real Name