"The Port of Call Experience" New Orleans Travelogue by Rixie
New Orleans Travel Guide: 4,325 reviews and 7,695 photos
Port of Call makes THE best burgers, but even more than that, you always come away from there with a story. . .or more than one story.
Story #1. When we were waiting with our extended family for a table at Port of Call, there was a guy standing across the street from the restaurant, wearing sunglasses and holding a realistic-looking sword and shield. He wasn't completely in costume - he was wearing a T-shirt and jeans. He stood there for about 15 minutes in different poses and then drifted away. We never did figure out what he was doing, but hey, it was New Orleans.
Story #2. Later, inside Port of Call, after we had been seated and were waiting for our order, the waiter seated a party of four near us. He indicated one of the people at the table and announced, "This is (name) from Syria, and today he is going to have his first hamburger!"
Everyone in the restaurant clapped and cheered. When the Syrian guy's burger came, everyone stopped talking. All eyes were on him as he picked up the hamburger and took his first bite. There was a pause, and then --still chewing -- he nodded his head and gave a thumbs up. Wild applause, more cheering, and whistling. He’ll never forget his first burger, and neither will we!
Story #3. Outside Port of Call again, my stepson asked a guy who was waiting in line if he would take a photo of our family. The guy, who said his name was Stu, said that he would.
But as Stu was setting up the shot, a cheerful drunk lurched around the corner.
“I’ll take the picture, man – you get in the shot,” he said.
“But I’m not. . .I’m just. . .” Stu stammered.
“No, man, get in there!” said Cheerful Drunk. He took the camera away from Stu, gave him a gentle push towards our family group, and took the shot.
The resulting out-of-focus photo of our family with Stu still makes me smile. We also have one of us with the Cheerful Drunk.
This one is in focus because Stu took it.
And the Port of Call photo tradition continues! This one was taken in November 2011.
We asked Cyrus (white shirt) to take a photo of our family and then invited him into the photo, telling him "It's a tradition." His buddies were also happy to jump into the shot.
- See All A Total Experience
- See All A Bit Fishy
- See All Drinks To Go
- See All Old Fashioned Movie Theatre
- Who Dat?
Rixie's Related Pages
New Orleans Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Two Visits - 54 Years Apart"
- "new orleans louisiana"
- "The Naughty Madame"
- "New Orleans-An Intriguing Visit to the Past"
- "Crescent City Comes Calling"
- "THE BIG EASY"
- See All...
- Things to Do in New Orleans
- Hotels in New Orleans
- Transportation in New Orleans
- Nightlife in New Orleans
- Restaurants in New Orleans
- Shopping in New Orleans
- Warnings and Dangers in New Orleans
- See All...
Badges & Stats in New Orleans
- 38 Reviews
- 90 Photos
- 117 Forum posts
- 36 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (16)
Have you been to New Orleans?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in New Orleans
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Feeling Miffed"
- Commented on one of Rixie's New Orleans travelogues
- Wrote a Review A Total Experience about Jacques-Imo's Cafe in New Orleans Restaurants
- updated a New Orleans Travel Page "Do You Know What It Means to Miss New Orleans?"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Another War, Another Time"
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sonoma Intro, 49 reviews, 111 photos, 5 travelogues
- New Orleans Intro, 38 reviews, 92 photos, 6 travelogues
- San Francisco Intro, 46 reviews, 78 photos, 3 travelogues
- Milan Intro, 19 reviews, 54 photos, 3 travelogues
- Honolulu Intro, 32 reviews, 39 photos
- Paris Intro, 23 reviews, 40 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Rafael Intro, 16 reviews, 45 photos, 2 travelogues
- Portsmouth Intro, 12 reviews, 42 photos, 3 travelogues
- Portland Intro, 13 reviews, 37 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ashland Intro, 10 reviews, 40 photos, 2 travelogues