"Industriemuseum: The Exhibition" Top 5 Page for this destination Chemnitz Travelogue by Kathrin_E
Chemnitz Travel Guide: 135 reviews and 629 photos
This painting on glass shows how it all began: home industry. The whole family has to participate in earning the family income. One man is weaving, another spinning with the help of a mechanical spinning wheel. The woman at the table on the left is sewing gloves. By the window, another woman is making lace. The third woman is preparing the yarn bobbins for the loom. The girl at her feet is doong her homework for school on a slate board (no child labour is depicted, at least) while the little child in front is playing with the cat and some empty bobbins.
Industrialization set an end to home production. Many people lost their income at first but many new jobs became available in the factories. Some owners of small enterprises succeeded in big business and became the bosses of large companies.
The museum presents the office of a factory owner here. The globe represents worldwide business, the paintings show the founders of the company.
Chemnitz became an industrial city within a few decades. Textile industry stayed important, but there was also the car industry and many others. All these needed specialized machines.
Stockings, around 1930, produced by the local company Moritz Samuel Esche - these were the owners of Henry van de Velde's Villa Esche.
Kathrin_E's Related Pages
Chemnitz Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Chemnitz - City of Modernism"
- "Chemnitz - A City in Transition"
- "Chemnitz - Karl-Marx-Stadt - Chemnitz"
- "Chemnitz formerly known as Karl Marx Stadt :)"
- "Karl-Marx-Stadt --> Chemnitz"
- "Chemnitz, Saxony - Germany"
- "Bonios lunch stop in Chemnitz"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Chemnitz
- Hotels in Chemnitz
- Transportation in Chemnitz
- Nightlife in Chemnitz
- Restaurants in Chemnitz
- Shopping in Chemnitz
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Chemnitz
- 23 Reviews
- 178 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (135)
Have you been to Chemnitz?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Chemnitz
- Posted in Travel Nottingham Forum "Re: Best restaurants in..."
- updated a Chemnitz Travel Page "Chemnitz - Karl-Marx-Stadt - Chemnitz"
- Commented on one of german_eagle's Chemnitz travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "The Sparkling Post-Modern City Centre"
- Wrote a Review Industriemuseum: Textile Passage about Chemnitz Industrial Museum in Chemnitz Things to Do
Photos in ChemnitzSee All Photos (178)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wroclaw Intro, 100 reviews, 526 photos, 13 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Karlsruhe Intro, 120 reviews, 432 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marburg an der Lahn Intro, 79 reviews, 303 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cuxhaven Intro, 48 reviews, 250 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Münster Intro, 46 reviews, 246 photos, 10 travelogues
- Krakow Intro, 18 reviews, 273 photos, 25 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Konstanz Intro, 47 reviews, 240 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dresden Intro, 46 reviews, 223 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Essen Intro, 43 reviews, 219 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Schwetzingen Intro, 39 reviews, 214 photos, 10 travelogues