VirtualTourist.com will close on Feb 27th.

"Klaffenbach Water Castle: Around" Chemnitz Travelogue by Russell_the_Wombat

Chemnitz Travel Guide: 135 reviews and 629 photos

Mommy took me on a looong tram ride beyond the boundaries of the city. She would not tell me before where we were going. Surprise, surprise, she said.

We got off at a village named Klaffenbach, walked a bit, and then we saw - this.

We crossed the small river on the bridge and reached a row of buildings with a gate and tower. Walking though the gate we reached a wide courtyard and a water castle.

In the 16th century a guy had become rich with the silver mining in the Ore Mountains and finally acquired nobilization. He thought - as many neo-rich do - ok now I need a house that matches my new status. He had himself built a castle in the countryside, complete with surrounding moat and everything.

The castle is just a cube but the architect had a funky idea for his neo-rich client: those strange gables on the roof and the corners.

A walk round the castle reveals new perspectives and new reflections in the water of the moat all the time. Let's do a photo session!

• Page Updated May 9, 2016

Comments

Russell_the_Wombat

“Never underestimate a wombat.”

Ranked Member

Badges & Stats in Chemnitz

Have you been to Chemnitz?

Latest Activity in Chemnitz