"Zabljak Crnojevica - republic of Montenegro" Zabljak Travelogue by Oleg_D.
Zabljak Travel Guide: 21 reviews and 97 photos
Žabljak Crnojevića (commonly referred to as Žabljak; Cyrillic: Æàá?àê Öðíî¼åâè?à, pronounced [ʒâbʎak t͡sr̂nɔjɛv̞it͡ɕa], Turkish: Yabliyak) is an abandoned medieval fortified town (fortress). Zabljak Crnojevica was the capital of medieval Serbian Principality known as Zetska Banovina (Duchy of Zeta) existed at the territory of modern Montenegro.
The fortress itself is located on the confluence of the Morača river in Lake Skadar. It is believed that this fortress was founded in the tenth century during the reign of the Vojislavljević dynasty in then-known Principality of Dioclea, whereas the first known written testimonies of the fortress originate from mid-fifteenth century. And when you look at its structure you can unmistakably recognize the well done job of Italian master masons. The fortress served as the capital of Zeta under the Crnojević dynasty from 1466 till 1478, being the seat of Stefan and Ivan Crnojević. However, Ivan Crnojević was forced to move the capital in 1478 as the Turks seized the town that same year after a long siege. Turks held it until the decision of the Berlin Congress in 1878 when it fell under Montenegrin administration once again after 400 years of Turkish rule. The town has tall walls with towers, as well as one gate. Within the walls can be found: Ivan Crnojević's court, Church of Saint George (was turned into a mosque during Ottoman rule), housing and military facilities, a warehouse for clothes and a water tank, most of which are preserved.
How to get Zabljak Zrnojevica? If you drive from Podgorica or Podgorica International Airport take road #65 and drive south to Virpazar. Turn right to the minor road near the ?Anovi? restaurant when passing through Golubovci and drive west. When you have river Moraca crossed over the bridge turn south and drive along the Western bank of that river. Road will turn right to West again and at last finished in front of the castle. It is impossible to miss the place. The distance from Podgorica to Zabljak Zrnojevica is approximately 27 kilometers or 17 miles. So, it is better to stay at Podgorica and travel to Zabljak Crnojevica by car it is going to take about forty minutes.
More Travelogues (2)
Written May 9, 2016
Zabljak Crnojevica is no Zabljak.
Written May 9, 2016
This Zabljak is no that Zabljak
Oleg_D.'s Related Pages
Zabljak Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Zabljak at Spring time"
- "Zabljak and Crno Jezero (Black Lake)"
- "The best place to visit Durmitor Park"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Zabljak
- Hotels in Zabljak
- Transportation in Zabljak
- Restaurants in Zabljak
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Zabljak
- 0 Reviews
- 24 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (67)
Have you been to Zabljak?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Zabljak
Photos in ZabljakSee All Photos (24)
Top 10 Pages
- Vienna Intro, 160 reviews, 802 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Naples Intro, 123 reviews, 603 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Barcelona Intro, 113 reviews, 560 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Strasbourg Intro, 110 reviews, 556 photos, 1 travelogue
- Saint Petersburg Intro, 86 reviews, 440 photos, 1 travelogue
- Milan Intro, 83 reviews, 418 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Córdoba Intro, 80 reviews, 404 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Toledo Intro, 78 reviews, 384 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Segovia Intro, 79 reviews, 382 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cologne Intro, 70 reviews, 317 photos