"Hiking Petkeljärvi National Park --- Part 1" Petkeljärvi Travelogue by gubbi1
Petkeljärvi Travel Guide: 0 reviews and 27 photos
After a very good night and no bears visiting me, I talked to the ranger for some ideas where to do a hike. Beside another option he proposed this loop trail to me and I decided that it suites my plans. So I packed my stuff and started for this hike. My expectations were more or less neutral as I originally did not plan to stop here, but with the calm nice weather already the first meters showed that it would be come a great hike.
Above you can see the gps log of this hike imported into google earth. In the very south on that small peninsula you will find the National Park Information Center with the camp site.
The whole hike was about 3,5 kilometers and surrounded the lake Savulampi and some of the adjacent forest. The other option would have been Kuikankierros with its 6,5 kilometers. But my idea was to leave Petkeljärvi NP to continue to Möhkö, a former ironworks. So the smaller round was sufficient for this day, even though the larger round would have also been a fantastic experience.
Once you start hiking, you will find information plates telling you where you are and where to go. Even if you forgot your printout or map, I would say it is hard to get lost here.
At the beginning you will leave the road for the Visitor Center into the forest. During my visit it was still fresh and green.
Very soon after you will get close to the lake (still Kokolahti)...
... and then you will have to decide if you plan to hike clockwise or not. I decided to hike clockwise and therefore continued straight forward.
Now we hike a few hundred meters along Kokolahti...
... and will notice a strange trench. It is the remain of the Second World War or more specific the Finnish-Russian Winter War (November 1939 to March 1940) and the Continuation War (June 1941 to September 1944). Walking here now in this quiet and peaceful forest gives no idea what was going on in that time. Therefore you will come across traces of war in several places in the region which are intended to prevent people of forgetting.
gubbi1's Related Pages
Petkeljärvi Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Sleeping and hiking in Petkeljärvi National Park"
- Create a Petkeljärvi Travel Page
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Petkeljärvi
- 0 Reviews
- 27 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (55)
Have you been to Petkeljärvi?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Petkeljärvi
Photos in PetkeljärviSee All Photos (27)
Top 10 Pages
- Vienna Intro, 40 reviews, 231 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oulu Intro, 55 reviews, 134 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lillehammer Intro, 8 reviews, 164 photos, 17 travelogues
- Nazareth Intro, 16 reviews, 124 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Akko Intro, 11 reviews, 122 photos, 10 travelogues
- Évora Intro, 13 reviews, 116 photos, 9 travelogues
- Røros Intro, 10 reviews, 107 photos, 9 travelogues
- Bet Guvrin Intro, 18 reviews, 89 photos
- Bet She`arim Intro, 11 reviews, 90 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tomar Intro, 12 reviews, 86 photos, 5 travelogues