"Corfu, or is is Transilvania" Corfu Island Travelogue by ricky52

Corfu Island Travel Guide: 383 reviews and 1,245 photos

We arrive in the dead of night

We are only the second flight to land at Corfu airport this night, everything else had to be diverted to Italy.
A violent thunderstorm had knocked out all the electricity for the airport.
Our approach to the airport, after it was reopened, was to say at the very least, bloody scary, all around us, the thunderstorm was still causing havoc.
Bad luck for us, as the flight from Gatwick (running 8 hours late) arrived about 10 minutes before us.
Corfu baggage handling system has come to a complete standstill.
One and a half hours later we emerge from the airport and we are all panicking a little, fearing our transfer coaches have left without us.
Lightening strikes, violent thunder claps and torrential rain greet us outside.
I half expected to see a black carriage drawn by six black horses and Igor at the reins.
The coach was still there.
On we trundle and wait for another hour as we wait for four more passengers, who have a piece of their luggage missing.
We trundle up to our resort as the storm batters Corfu.
At half past midnight, we get there and are dumped by the roadside in the pitch black night.
All of the North section of Corfu is without electricity.
As we watch the tail lights of the coach bugger off to Roda, we are wondering WTF.
We needn?t have worried though as we saw a light dancing across the rain soaked tarmac road leading to our apartment.
Costas, our hero (and hotel owner) had come to collect us and take us home.
He helped us up to our rooms using his trusted torch and had placed candles stuck in local beer bottles in our rooms (yes we have light sayeth the Lord)
We dump our luggage into our rooms and go back downstairs.
Needless to say because of the power cuts, bugger all was open and we could not get any food (most of us had not eaten since midday at the airport)
However, the beer in the fridge was cold.
So at 3am and very drunk, we all went to bed.

The night of the vampires.

Tuesday morning.
It?s fair to say that we slept like logs.
However, in the morning we understood why electricity is so important in countries like Greece.
None of us could use our bug killers and every single one of us was bitten by mosquitoes, even seasoned travellers who claimed never to have been bitten before were ravaged.
The vampires had done a good job on us during the night and no one escaped their painful bite.
By Tuesday afternoon, 15 of the 16 bites I received had become infected, I was in agony.
I had to call in the vampire slayer and instead of driving a wooden steak through my heart, she jabbed a needle in my backside.

The return of the Vampire Slayer

Wednesday and Thursday.
Wednesday morning and my battle with the vampires have being won.
Not a single new bite.
Our apartment had now been fitted with 4 mosquito killing machines plus being sprayed with insect killer before we left for our evening out.
I hope that I was committing mass murder.
However I was still waiting for the arrival of the vampire slayer to inflict yet another single wound to my rear end.
I had not slept Tuesday night because of the pain and itching and suggested to Sheila that she should tie my hands to the bed (she got all exited and thought it was a new game)
The vampire slayer injected her potion and gave me a prescription for a different anti histamine with a sleeper.
Wednesday night I slept a lot better only getting up once to drive off the evil itching.
However, on Thursday, the sleepers were working too well and I could not stay awake, I did manage to get up before the vampire slayer came to give me my final sting (how wrong I was)
She gave me my last jab and then she, along with the mosquitoes, stung me for 180Euros.

Feeling a bit better

Friday, Saturday and Sunday.
My bites still itch like mad and I am feeling a little better.
Decided to stay local for a couple of days and take it easy.
On Sunday we decided that we should hire a car for the rest of the holiday.
See the second travelogue to see what happened next.

The aftermath.

At the hotel, I sustained a small foot injury which bled for a while but was ok afterwards.

We returned to the UK on the 4th October.

On Friday the 28th October, I was rushed into hospital with a high fever and I was shaking from head to toe. I was freezing.
The doctors had worked out that I had some kind of infection but at this point they did not know what.
Saturday and it is now clear what the problem is, I have got Cellulitis in my right leg, caused no less by the above mentioned foot injury.
12 days later and having IV antibiotics, I'm home.

• Page Updated May 9, 2016

• paddington28's Profile Photo
    Oct 19, 2015 at 5:56 PM

Hey ricky,Shame about the mossies! Please don't tell me you took that photo of lightening,because if you did,Bloody amazing!

ricky52

“I am as daft as I look.”

Badges & Stats in Corfu Island

Have you been to Corfu Island?

Latest Activity in Corfu Island