"Saxon Shore Way walk (1)." Kent Travelogue by planxty
Kent Travel Guide: 1,833 reviews and 4,580 photos
Readers of other VT pages of mine will know that I do love a good walk. Some years ago (2006 to be precise) I walked a good proportion of the Saxon Shore Way which is a long distance footpath around the shore of Kent. The full Way is 160 miles from Gravesend on the Thames estuary to Hastings in East Sussex. I have, however, revisited portions of the Way since then.
These travelogues are contructed to show the visitor the type of things they may expect to see if they visit. They are just a random selection and were taken over a few days.
No trip to the seaside would be complete without some fish and chips and here is an example of one of the many establishments on the Way. From memory, I think this is in Margate.
This is a fairly typical scene on the stretch of the Way on the North Kent coast. In the distance you can see the Reculver Towers which dominate the fairly flat landscape round here.
And here they are close up. 12th century towere, subsequently rebuilt after damage and built on the site of a Roman camp, they have provided a navigational aid to seafarers for centuries.
Speaking of men who go the the sea, the place is much used by people for waterborne musement. These two guys were having a great time.
This is another fairly typical view. The beaches along this stretch are all pebble rather than the sand found further East round Thanet.
I took this picture just as the gent went past on his bike. With the architectural style of the building and the cyclist, it always makes me think of Holland but I assure you it is Kent.
I was playing with my then relatively new camera, and took this of waves crashing against the breakwater just outside Whitstable.
I shall continue this travelogue in a second part
More Travelogues (2)
Written May 9, 2016
Saxon Shore Way (2).
Written May 9, 2016
Saxon Shore Way walk (3)
planxty's Related Pages
Kent Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Kent - Home of the Hops and much more"
- "Welcome to the Garden Of England"
- "Kent, the Garden of England"
- "Kent - The Garden of England"
- "Finally: More than just Dover"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kent
- Hotels in Kent
- Transportation in Kent
- Nightlife in Kent
- Restaurants in Kent
- Shopping in Kent
- Warnings and Dangers in Kent
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Kent
- 89 Reviews
- 303 Photos
- 19 Forum posts
- 5 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (241)
Have you been to Kent?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kent
Videos in KentSee All Videos (2)
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 258 reviews, 969 photos, 50 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Colombo Intro, 41 reviews, 202 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Broadstairs Intro, 53 reviews, 158 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Halifax Intro, 37 reviews, 145 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lundy Island Intro, 15 reviews, 147 photos, 12 travelogues
- Valletta Intro, 25 reviews, 133 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Belfast Intro, 27 reviews, 117 photos, 4 travelogues
- Sherbrooke Intro, 10 reviews, 134 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dumaguete City Intro, 29 reviews, 104 photos
- Philippines Intro, 11 reviews, 115 photos, 11 travelogues