"Saxon Shore Way walk (1)." Kent Travelogue by planxty

Kent Travel Guide: 1,833 reviews and 4,580 photos

A glorious walk.

Readers of other VT pages of mine will know that I do love a good walk. Some years ago (2006 to be precise) I walked a good proportion of the Saxon Shore Way which is a long distance footpath around the shore of Kent. The full Way is 160 miles from Gravesend on the Thames estuary to Hastings in East Sussex. I have, however, revisited portions of the Way since then.

These travelogues are contructed to show the visitor the type of things they may expect to see if they visit. They are just a random selection and were taken over a few days.

No trip to the seaside would be complete without some fish and chips and here is an example of one of the many establishments on the Way. From memory, I think this is in Margate.

This is a fairly typical scene on the stretch of the Way on the North Kent coast. In the distance you can see the Reculver Towers which dominate the fairly flat landscape round here.

And here they are close up. 12th century towere, subsequently rebuilt after damage and built on the site of a Roman camp, they have provided a navigational aid to seafarers for centuries.

Speaking of men who go the the sea, the place is much used by people for waterborne musement. These two guys were having a great time.

This is another fairly typical view. The beaches along this stretch are all pebble rather than the sand found further East round Thanet.

I took this picture just as the gent went past on his bike. With the architectural style of the building and the cyclist, it always makes me think of Holland but I assure you it is Kent.

I was playing with my then relatively new camera, and took this of waves crashing against the breakwater just outside Whitstable.

I shall continue this travelogue in a second part

• Page Updated May 9, 2016

Comments

planxty Visits Here Frequently!

planxty

“I have declared myself an unsafe building!”

Badges & Stats in Kent