"The flora and fauna of Puerto Rico, Part II" Puerto Rico Travelogue by joiwatani

Puerto Rico Travel Guide: 2,447 reviews and 6,457 photos

The oranges

I didn't realize that Puerto Rico exports organges to the mainland United States. I was told by talking to a haciendero there that most of his buyers are big companies in the mainland U.S. and make the oranges into juices.

The ferns

The weather of Puerto Rico is very good for the growth of many different kinds of plants and trees. One of the plants that I see a lot in Maricao are the huge ferns.

The gardens

There are so many different vines in Puerto Rico. I can't even name them. They are absolutely gorgeous. This vine right here has fuschia flowers that look like bells.

Part of what I did in Puerto Rico was to trim this vine and cut the smaller vines and re-planted them. I was able to produce about 100 plants out of my trimmings.

In order to propagate this, I have to cut a mature vine into about a span in length and dip it into a chemical (to treat the plant so it won't get infected by diseases) and plant it in a pot of soil.

Different Plant

I am not sure what's the name of this. I had seen one of these in San Diego, California.

The bamboos

cbThere are many bamboos all over the place. They are the tall ones. One good thing about Puerto Rico is that the people don't really gather them to make handicrafts like those I see in Asia. This is a great thing because then they preserve their environment.

It's a jungle out there

The taro

• Page Updated May 9, 2016

Comments

joiwatani

“Buy yourself and your children the experience of travel”

Badges & Stats in Puerto Rico

Have you been to Puerto Rico?