"The flora and fauna of Puerto Rico, Part II" Puerto Rico Travelogue by joiwatani
Puerto Rico Travel Guide: 2,447 reviews and 6,457 photos
I didn't realize that Puerto Rico exports organges to the mainland United States. I was told by talking to a haciendero there that most of his buyers are big companies in the mainland U.S. and make the oranges into juices.
The weather of Puerto Rico is very good for the growth of many different kinds of plants and trees. One of the plants that I see a lot in Maricao are the huge ferns.
There are so many different vines in Puerto Rico. I can't even name them. They are absolutely gorgeous. This vine right here has fuschia flowers that look like bells.
Part of what I did in Puerto Rico was to trim this vine and cut the smaller vines and re-planted them. I was able to produce about 100 plants out of my trimmings.
In order to propagate this, I have to cut a mature vine into about a span in length and dip it into a chemical (to treat the plant so it won't get infected by diseases) and plant it in a pot of soil.
I am not sure what's the name of this. I had seen one of these in San Diego, California.
cbThere are many bamboos all over the place. They are the tall ones. One good thing about Puerto Rico is that the people don't really gather them to make handicrafts like those I see in Asia. This is a great thing because then they preserve their environment.
More Travelogues (18)
- See All Pizza in Old San Juan
- See All Class system in Puerto Rico
- See All The Carnaval in Puerto Rico
- See All Mosquito Net and Mosquito Repellant
- See All Wear comfortable shoes!
joiwatani's Related Pages
Puerto Rico Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Que Rico, Puerto Rico"
- "Puerto Rico--The Island of Enchantment!"
- "Perfect Island Vacation"
- "The Main Island"
- "Hexe Goes to Puerto Rico"
- "Puerto Rican "Shorty-moon""
- "Vounteering in Puerto Rico with my daughter!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Puerto Rico
- Hotels in Puerto Rico
- Transportation in Puerto Rico
- Nightlife in Puerto Rico
- Restaurants in Puerto Rico
- Shopping in Puerto Rico
- Warnings and Dangers in Puerto Rico
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Puerto Rico
- 112 Reviews
- 521 Photos
- 4 Forum posts
- 1 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (37)
Have you been to Puerto Rico?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Puerto Rico
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Seattle Intro, 192 reviews, 1701 photos, 163 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Las Vegas Intro, 236 reviews, 1087 photos, 57 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hawaii (State of) Intro, 89 reviews, 696 photos, 54 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kyoto Intro, 100 reviews, 468 photos, 10 travelogues
- Puerto Rico Intro, 82 reviews, 354 photos, 19 travelogues
- Isla Cozumel Intro, 59 reviews, 312 photos, 15 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sedona Intro, 100 reviews, 265 photos, 4 travelogues
- Japan Intro, 24 reviews, 296 photos, 31 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vancouver Intro, 51 reviews, 265 photos, 14 travelogues
- Florence Intro, 11 reviews, 279 photos, 28 travelogues