"Memories from my youth" Johannesburg Travelogue by kenHuocj

Johannesburg Travel Guide: 1,115 reviews and 2,338 photos

when i was younger

i have just enjoyed *%[http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/p/m/1d78b6/]Jodhpur Favorite Tip by lynnehamman%L*, and my comment to her was
"Coleridge's lines "In Xanadu did Kubla Khan
A stately pleasure-dome decree : (1)
Where Alph, the sacred river, ran
. . . . . .
. . . . . .
And close your eyes with holy dread,
For he on honey-dew hath fed,
And drunk the milk of Paradise. (54) was inspired by the use of Opium, which reminds me un years long gone by, along the alleys of Hong Kong and Singapore, where whiffs of the sweet aromatic pleasure tickled my senses - more from me on this topic in my Johannesburg reflections"
from You Tube the full poem and exceptional read/recitation

what happened was i spent many of my pre-school years with my Grandparents in the Southern Suburbs, Grandpa the epitome of a scholar and gentleman had three loves, that was visible to me and my uncle, his Johnny Walker from a square bottle, the Cigars from the wooden boxes, and when us two little boys were allowed to share his private parlour behind locked doors, to be part of a ritual

From his "secret drawer,
he'd bring out his pipe, plate, glass funnel, candle, silver kneader and small bottle of dark treacly liquid.
On the plate was placed a 2" candle lit, then the glass funnel - a bottle cut to 3", place over the candle, to concentrate the heat and keep a still flame ,
the fine silver kneader about 4' long with a small paddle on one end was gently held in the middle, bot end being part of the next steps.
The little bottle opened, the round end was dipped end to be covered by the dark thick liquid, placed above the flame to start the transformation, the little dark bead was constantly moving, repeatedly dipped in the bottle to increase the size of the dark brown blob which soon bubbles due to the heat., this bubbling blob is flattened regularly on the wooden base at the end of the pipe. Repeated bubbling and flattening, then finally it is pushed into the hole and inhaled.
Whilst the heating occurs, a sweet unique aroma is noticed. us kids were passively smoking what inspired Samuel Taylor Coleridge to write Kubla Kahn, and for me to occasionally turn back the clock, take a few deep breaths and relish.
btw, i never puffed the pipe ever.

also a rectangular pillow of 15 x 6 x 4 inches, on which his headed rested.

... the milk of Paradise...

• Page Updated May 9, 2016

Comments

kenHuocj Visits Here Frequently!

kenHuocj

“The traveller sees what he sees; The tourist sees what he has come to see? ............ G.K. Chesterton”

Badges & Stats in Johannesburg

Have you been to Johannesburg?