"Memories from my youth" Johannesburg Travelogue by kenHuocj
Johannesburg Travel Guide: 1,108 reviews and 2,323 photos
i have just enjoyed *%[http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/p/m/1d78b6/]Jodhpur Favorite Tip by lynnehamman%L*, and my comment to her was
"Coleridge's lines "In Xanadu did Kubla Khan
A stately pleasure-dome decree : (1)
Where Alph, the sacred river, ran
. . . . . .
. . . . . .
And close your eyes with holy dread,
For he on honey-dew hath fed,
And drunk the milk of Paradise. (54) was inspired by the use of Opium, which reminds me un years long gone by, along the alleys of Hong Kong and Singapore, where whiffs of the sweet aromatic pleasure tickled my senses - more from me on this topic in my Johannesburg reflections"
from You Tube the full poem and exceptional read/recitation
what happened was i spent many of my pre-school years with my Grandparents in the Southern Suburbs, Grandpa the epitome of a scholar and gentleman had three loves, that was visible to me and my uncle, his Johnny Walker from a square bottle, the Cigars from the wooden boxes, and when us two little boys were allowed to share his private parlour behind locked doors, to be part of a ritual
From his "secret drawer,
he'd bring out his pipe, plate, glass funnel, candle, silver kneader and small bottle of dark treacly liquid.
On the plate was placed a 2" candle lit, then the glass funnel - a bottle cut to 3", place over the candle, to concentrate the heat and keep a still flame ,
the fine silver kneader about 4' long with a small paddle on one end was gently held in the middle, bot end being part of the next steps.
The little bottle opened, the round end was dipped end to be covered by the dark thick liquid, placed above the flame to start the transformation, the little dark bead was constantly moving, repeatedly dipped in the bottle to increase the size of the dark brown blob which soon bubbles due to the heat., this bubbling blob is flattened regularly on the wooden base at the end of the pipe. Repeated bubbling and flattening, then finally it is pushed into the hole and inhaled.
Whilst the heating occurs, a sweet unique aroma is noticed. us kids were passively smoking what inspired Samuel Taylor Coleridge to write Kubla Kahn, and for me to occasionally turn back the clock, take a few deep breaths and relish.
btw, i never puffed the pipe ever.
also a rectangular pillow of 15 x 6 x 4 inches, on which his headed rested.
More Travelogues (6)
- See All Gandhi House 1908-09 ~ Museum B&B...
- See All Inside the Ponte Tower and see Hillbrow...
- See All Shopping for fresh Seafoods
- See All Folk Songs and coffee
- See All MetroBus
- Cemetaries and History go hand in Hand
- See All South African Cuisine
- See All FOOTBALL but Soccer to North America
- See All WINE Tasting for 4 nights
- See All Bruma Lake Flea Market
- A. Be careful of Taxi...
Been to Johannesburg?Share your travels with the world!
kenHuocj's Related Pages
Johannesburg Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "It's really not as bad as you've been told!"
- "The Fast Life , Johannesburg"
- "Jozi, Joburg, Johannesburg - City of Gold"
- "Believe it or not, this is a great city"
- "A brief visit to Johannesburg"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Johannesburg
- Hotels in Johannesburg
- Transportation in Johannesburg
- Nightlife in Johannesburg
- Restaurants in Johannesburg
- Shopping in Johannesburg
- Warnings and Dangers in Johannesburg
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Johannesburg
- 27 Reviews
- 86 Photos
- 5 Forum posts
- 43 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (19)
Have you been to Johannesburg?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Johannesburg
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Time to say goodbye?"
- Commented on one of Paulm1987's Johannesburg tips
- updated a Johannesburg Travelogue "Kapitan's Curry Restaura @ 11 Kort Street - R.I.P"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Kapitan's Curry Restaura @ 11 Kort Street - R.I.P"
- Wrote a Review Gandhi House 1908-09 ~ Museum B&B... in Johannesburg Hotels
Photos in JohannesburgSee All Photos (86)
Top 10 Pages
- Ottawa Intro, 65 reviews, 213 photos, 9 travelogues
- Orleans Intro, 29 reviews, 114 photos, 2 travelogues
- Toronto 40 reviews, 102 photos, 4 travelogues
- Pretoria Intro, 40 reviews, 87 photos, 7 travelogues
- Cape Town 35 reviews, 84 photos, 7 travelogues
- Johannesburg 27 reviews, 84 photos, 7 travelogues
- South Africa Intro, 20 reviews, 67 photos, 8 travelogues
- Canada Intro, 11 reviews, 73 photos, 8 travelogues
- Vancouver 12 reviews, 53 photos, 3 travelogues
- Africa Intro, 14 reviews, 45 photos, 6 travelogues